No announcement yet.

Rustoleum 252459 - Gloss Cherry Red

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You can get a nice medium priced DeVillbis finishline paint gun with can and three tips for 125 or so. I painted my truck last year and never painted a thing in my life. Read up on iy. Bought primer, paint, activators, urethane clear coat and my paint job came out pretty damn good. You can always use the gun to paint anything in the future, and now that I have a new bike, not afraid to tackle a cycle job if needed. Its the way to go. I bet you can get a gun and enough chemicals to paint ones bike for 300.00 and then later revel in your great job well done. Just my opinion.

Comment

Originally posted by ThrottleBack View Post
      I am (was) a professional painter I have ALL of the equipment and then some
      Originally posted by alhntr View Post
      You can get a nice medium priced DeVillbis finishline paint gun with can and three tips for 125 or so. I painted my truck last year and never painted a thing in my life. Read up on iy. Bought primer, paint, activators, urethane clear coat and my paint job came out pretty damn good. You can always use the gun to paint anything in the future, and now that I have a new bike, not afraid to tackle a cycle job if needed. Its the way to go. I bet you can get a gun and enough chemicals to paint ones bike for 300.00 and then later revel in your great job well done. Just my opinion.
      Don't think he is hurting for equipment......

Comment

Yea he clearly didn't read. Also that gun is junk but i'm glad it worked for you.

Comment

Here is my '82 Goldwing painted with Rustoleum Painters Touch in Rustic Orange and Navajo White with blue tape between. I used Minwax clear over it because it is supposed to be fuel resistant. It is very durable paint.
          image.jpg

Comment

This is the clear I used.
            image.jpg

Comment

Wow. A six-year-old thread, back from the dead.

sigpic
              mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
              hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
              #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
              #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
              Family Portrait
              Siblings and Spouses
              Mom's first ride
              Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
              (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                Wow. A six-year-old thread, back from the dead.

Yikes, I never even looked at the dates. Oh well it may be of interest to someone.

Comment

Originally posted by ThrottleBack View Post
                  Yea i know 2k but i dont use any clear not made by the same company as the paint. Always match them. Down here you can grab a shop towel next to the pump to get the nozzel safely over and away.
                  I've sprayed 2k clear over Duplicolor, Rustoleum, Krylon and maybe a few others, with perfect results.
                  https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4442/...678005be58.jpg

1982 GS1100 G converted by Motorcyclist magazine in 1986 to be a tribute to the Wes Cooley replica. 1982 Honda 900F. 1997 Yamaha VMax.
                  Also owned: 1973 Kawasaki Z1 900, 1972 Honda 750 K, 1976 Yamaha XS 650, 1980 Kawasaki KZ 1000 MKII, 1978 Kawasaki SR 650. Current cage is a 2001 Mustang Bullitt in Dark Highland Green. Bought new in Sept. 2001.

Comment

I just slap some polyurethane varnish on.
                    Seems to work.
                    ---- Dave

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

Originally posted by Grimly View Post
                      I just slap some polyurethane varnish on.
                      Seems to work.
                      Yes, that's what the Minwax stuff is.

Comment

My motorcycles I only do spray cans. Too much work to break out the spray equipment. Here’s the last spray can job I just did.
                        Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by canuckxxx View Post
                          Yes, that's what the Minwax stuff is.
                          didn't know that! I'll have to try it... I've been using polyurethane too. "Spar varnish" with a brush for over enamel -so far with good result. It doesn't seem to polish up quite as shiny as the laquers but wax is on top anyways.

Comment

I've done plenty of decent "50 MPH" rattle can jobs with Duplicolor rattle cans, dirt cheap at surplus stores!
                            1980 Yamaha XS1100G (Current bike)
                            1982 GS450txz (former bike)
                            LONG list of previous bikes not listed here.

I identify as a man but according to the label on a box of Stauffers Baked Lasagne I'm actually a family of four

Comment

Originally posted by Gorminrider View Post
                              didn't know that! I'll have to try it... I've been using polyurethane too. "Spar varnish" with a brush for over enamel -so far with good result. It doesn't seem to polish up quite as shiny as the laquers but wax is on top anyways.
                              for real?message to at least 10 characters.
                              1983 GS 550 LD
                              2009 BMW K1300s

Comment

for real?
                                Oh yes, Cipher...for real. A brush. I can post pix to prove it.... There are hoary old coach-builder techniques that I wish I could master without the 20 years it really needs. but I'm happy with the results I can get. It starts at the brush. Disposable foam thingies?-well, they are possible for a touchup/or "splice"...

So far, I've just done a couple of Hondas this way. One, entire, with a non-factory colour, and another where repairs to the tank,fender and sidecovers required repairs...while laquer is ok on the fenders and sidecovers, not so on the tank.
                                THIS last is where it's really handy to me. The decals are hard to find! tank was mostly pretty good so being able to leave the original factory coat while repairing dents, scratches and all without redoing entirely is worthy, I think. It looks suprisingly well to my eye... Fortunately, it's a straight non-metallic colour I could easily match and splice with enamel and Polyurethane varnish over....I haven't needed to futz with repairs to match Suzuki "metallics" ...beyond practicing a little with nail polish

Comment

Working...
                                X