Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cautionary Tale - Rattle Can BC + 2k CC

As the story goes...

Lots of prep work getting the tank clean rust free and straight. Primed using Rustolium primers, priming, sanding, priming till it was all covered and smooth. Painted gloss black Rustolium automotive finish, masked and spayed medium charcoal metalic, put on gold pin stripes and then cleared with Spraymax 2k clear to give a finish that would stand up to fule spills.

I can look at it and see all the flaws, but from 10 feet it was hard to see any real problems. The rustolium product really finished out nice and the metalic left things looking very close to the original color for the '82 GS 1100 GL. Added new badges and screws all was good.

I gassed up and drove home, parked in the garage. Well I guess you could say I over gassed... hot garage, west side of the house, in Texas, did I say the garage was hot? Hot engine full to over full tank, fuel expanded, trapped air expanded forcing fuel up the filler neck, and out of the vented gas cap, down the side of the tank. Should be no problem right!

Well crap, looks like the gas found a place to seep under the 2k clear, my guess is via cracks in the clear caused by the screws securing the new badge and it wicked its way aver a very large area.

So, while the Sparaymax 2k Clear does protect what it is covering, you had sure better be sure that it is a complete coating coveing any non-catalyzed paint.

All is not lost, I learned a ton doing the work, I sure feel I can tackle this process again and get very good results, next time though will be with 2k products from priming through clear.

Carry on.....

I feel your pain.....but....

it rather looks cool in the picture, almost as though it's glass that has shattered....

Comment

Be careful with overfilling, a quick splash is one thing, but that kind of long term soaking is hard on any paint. Even original stuff that's been cured for thirty years will come up.
      Really nice looking tank, you can do it again.
      http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

There should be a small vent hole inside of the filler neck. If is very easy to overlook and plug especially if you sealed your tank.

I has a similar occurrence with a plugged vent hole. Gas sat right at the lip of the filler neck and eat it's way under the clear as I had taped at seam where the tank and the filler neck join.
        After that I clear all the way over the seam so even if there is standing gas it will not come in contact with the metal or paint only clear.

Comment

Originally posted by posplayr View Post
          There should be a small vent hole inside of the filler neck. If is very easy to overlook and plug especially if you sealed your tank.

I has a similar occurrence with a plugged vent hole. Gas sat right at the lip of the filler neck and eat it's way under the clear as I had taped at seam where the tank and the filler neck join.
          After that I clear all the way over the seam so even if there is standing gas it will not come in contact with the metal or paint only clear.
          Nice call there, I found the vent hole plugged and "knew" it should have been there but .... what were we talking about? Oh yeah, the vent hole, it is open now...

I did clear all the way up the lip of the filler, had the foresight to do that but did not count on the screws to compromise the integrity when the badges were put back on.

Comment

IRRC our paint guru Nvr2old sands back the filler neck and lays a bead of epoxy around it to prevent such seeping.Plan on doing this to both the 750 and the 1000.

Comment

Originally posted by SVSooke View Post
              IRRC our paint guru Nvr2old sands back the filler neck and lays a bead of epoxy around it to prevent such seeping.Plan on doing this to both the 750 and the 1000.
              I've heard of people smearing in a bead of JB Weld as well.

Comment

Originally posted by cableguy View Post
                I've heard of people smearing in a bead of JB Weld as well.
                Isn't JBWeld a form of epoxy?

Comment

I suppose it is, but I doubt many think of "JB Weld" when they think "epoxy". Or maybe they do and I'm just a post whore trying to get to 1000

Comment

What a shame, that was a very nice paint job in my opinion. Hang in there, you will get it the next time. Ray
                    "Nobody goes there anymore, it's too crowded" -Yogi Berra
                    GS Valve Shim Club http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=122394
                    1978 GS1000EC Back home with DJ
                    1979 GS1000SN The new hope
                    1986 VFR700F2 Recycled

Comment

Yeap happened to me too. PO sealed tank in kreem and blocked the vent hole in the neck. I was sick when it went out into the garage to see my tank spewing.

Comment

You have to give the 2k a long time to "go off" too... The longer you can keep it off the bike the better in my opinion.
                        I read somewhere that it continues to ougas & harden for several months.
                        1980 GS1000G - Sold
                        1978 GS1000E - Finished!
                        1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
                        1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
                        2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
                        1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
                        2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar..... - FOR SALE!

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Originally posted by SVSooke View Post
                          Isn't JBWeld a form of epoxy?
                          Yes, JB Weld is a filled epoxy. It is gas and oil resistant but absolutely not gas "proof".
                          Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

That human beings can not bear too much reality, explains so much.

Comment

Working...
                          X