GS750 into Sportster style - Possible?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ride it first.

Lots of things that look "cool" function BADLY. The vast majority of "chopped" and "bobbed" bikes turn into garbage because they are poorly done.

I actually like well-done chops and bob-jobs, but they are rare and they are also usually terrible choices for your main ride because their functionality is greatly reduced.

If you are working on your bike to make it look cool, you aren't RIDING it.

A 750 is ample for long distance. I ran mine from SC to upstate NY with zero problems. Make sure it's comfortably set up to fit your body.

Don't look for excuses to spend money. RIDE. Then ride some more.

A GOOD way to spend money is on an MSF rider course. Riding a motorcycle is not intuitive, and even good riders are often lousy teachers.

That Mike_H bike is practical. Download then zoom the pic for the Harley fender mount details. Aftermarket HD fenders like that one are inexpensive, and I run them on my Shovelheads because it also makes it easy to roll out the rear wheel for maintenance.

Just don't put a Sporty tank on the thing. They look like leper sphincter on an across-the-frame 4 cylinder unless it's a custom frame chop.
    Last edited by Guest; 07-11-2013, 09:15 PM.

Comment

I'm riding it every chance I get. I've having so much fun on this thing. I'm signed up to take the MSF basic rider course next month, and I'm putting 150-200 miles a week on the bike just getting the hang of things. I'm having a blast exploring the old 2 lane state highways that nobody uses anymore.

I definitely don't want to do anything that will seriously compromise the comfort or practicality of the bike. I want something that I can jump on and ride a few hundred miles. I just hate that duck tale look.

Comment

Ride more, look less.
        http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

It can't be done don't do it

Comment

Originally posted by GreaseMonkey View Post
            I definitely don't want to do anything that will seriously compromise the comfort or practicality of the bike. I want something that I can jump on and ride a few hundred miles. I just hate that duck tale look.
            Have you ever ridden a Sportster? They suck. Not even Harley guys like them, they rattle around too much and aren't comfortable at all. If you want to ride 200 miles, or even over 20 miles at a time then you have the bike already.

Your GS750 rides so much better it's not even funny. Stop thinking about aesthetics, and like has been said, ride.

Comment

I just hate that duck tale look.
              Two points...

1) At least it looks better than the wasp tails on so many sport bikes.

2) Think of these bikes a muscle cars. You wouldn't put the rear end of a Cadillac on a Mustang. In the end you're going to end up with a Frankenstein monster that no one would want, probably not even you.

Ok third point and I'll leave you alone...

3) You don't see the tail when you are riding.

BTW, None of us are picking on you...I don't think. I was almost exactly were you are about a year and a half ago. Hell if I had bought a 650L instead of a 650E, I'd probably STILL be there or sold it.

Yes these bikes are cheap and it IS your bike to do with as you please but go read the Craigslist Funnies thread. It speaks volumes about poorly modified GSs. If you have the skills then by all means make it your own and I'd look forward to seeing the build thread. If you don't...please don't try to just bolt on stuff that was never meant to be there.

Comment

All good points, and I appreciate the advice.

I know you guys aren't picking on me. I'm a member on other forums that deal with topics I know a lot about, so I know what it's like to be a veteran forum member and see the same dumbass newbie questions over and over. All you can do sometimes is sit back and watch people learn lessons the hard way. It probably sucks for you guys to have to see the bikes you love so much get butchered by morons. I'm trying not to be one of those guys. I do want to modify a few things on this bike, but I also want to maintain it's overall characteristics with regard to handling, ride quality, reliability, comfort, and practicality.

Comment

I do want to modify a few things on this bike, but I also want to maintain it's overall characteristics with regard to handling, ride quality, reliability, comfort, and practicality.
                  All of these things can be improved, with modern tires, shocks and fork internals, brakes, maybe handlebars. As far as reliability, once everything is repaired and maintained properly, it will be as reliable as any modern motorcycle.
                  http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Shinko 230 TourMaster tires stock sizes or at most one size up, progressive or sonic fork springs, cartridge emulators if u want better fork dampening, earl's diy stainless braided brake lines, new ebc organic pads, decent rear shocks like progressives or hagons for around $200, 530 o-ring chain conversion if yours is stretched a lot, rejet carbs to 115-125 mains and needles raised one notch higher if you modify the exhaust and install k&n filter or pods (big hp gains), dip carbs and install a complete cycleorings.com carb & intake boot oring set, etc... Plus your cosmetic mods. It will leave you dissatisfied with any newer cruiser bike you could ever test ride if you got yours in top shape and do these mods!
                    '77 GS750 920cc heavily modded
                    '97 Kawasaki KDX220R rugged terrain ripper!
                    '99 Kawasaki KDX220R​ rebuild in progress
                    '79 GS425stock
                    PROJECTS:
                    '77 Suzuki PE250 woods racer
                    '77 GS550 740cc major mods
                    '77 GS400 489cc racer build
                    '76 Rickman CR1000 GS1000/1100
                    '78 GS1000C/1100

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck78 View Post
                      Shinko 230 TourMaster tires stock sizes or at most one size up, progressive or sonic fork springs, cartridge emulators if u want better fork dampening, earl's diy stainless braided brake lines, new ebc organic pads, decent rear shocks like progressives or hagons for around $200, 530 o-ring chain conversion if yours is stretched a lot, rejet carbs to 115-125 mains and needles raised one notch higher if you modify the exhaust and install k&n filter or pods (big hp gains), dip carbs and install a complete cycleorings.com carb & intake boot oring set, etc... Plus your cosmetic mods. It will leave you dissatisfied with any newer cruiser bike you could ever test ride if you got yours in top shape and do these mods!
                      Sounds like a plan. The bike had a K&N filter in it when I got it. Sprockets and 530 chain are already in the mail because mine seems to get longer every time I adjust it. I put some cheap shocks on the back(not knowing any better). They're doing ok for now, but I'll likely replace them with some better ones eventually. New exhaust and either pod filters or a modified air box plus carb jets are on the schedule for this winter when I do the full tear-down. I'm going to put new tires on it in the next few weeks. I was looking at Avon Roadmasters after reading some good things about them on what I think was a cafe racer forum. Are the Shinko tires better or just a better bang for the buck? I'm going to put a set of Galfer stainless brake lines on the front this weekend. I checked the thickness on my brake pads a few weeks ago and they still have quite a bit of life left. Would you recommend replacing them with new ones anyway just for the improvement in pad quality?

This bike had been sitting in a garage for around 5 years before I got it. It had a short in the ignition wiring and a couple of stuck float valves that were keeping it from running. I cleaned out the carbs and tracked down the short and it started right up. Since then, I've changed the oil, flushed both brake systems, replaced the front brake light switch, repaired the headlight switch and turn signal switch, put on a new turn signal flasher, cleaned-oiled-adjusted the chain twice, and... I think that's about it. The PO had put a battery in it the year before I got it and also installed the chain off of a rusty old '77 model parts bike that came along with mine. I was planning on putting in new wheel bearings, swingarm bearings, and steering stem bearings in over the next month or two. I think part of me would just feel better knowing that all the main bearings are new and properly lubed. Would you say replacing those bearings would be worthwhile or am I wasting my time if they are doing fine now and aren't causing any problems?
                      Last edited by Guest; 07-12-2013, 07:39 PM.

Comment

upgrade to the needle bearing steering setup from allballs. The Avon Road Riders will last you a lot longer but will cost you a lot more up front. The Shinko's cost a whole lot less but will only last half as many miles, and if you ride it as hard as I do, your rear tire may last 4,000 miles if you're lucky! they are so soft and grippy though, the cornering traction is phenomenal
                        '77 GS750 920cc heavily modded
                        '97 Kawasaki KDX220R rugged terrain ripper!
                        '99 Kawasaki KDX220R​ rebuild in progress
                        '79 GS425stock
                        PROJECTS:
                        '77 Suzuki PE250 woods racer
                        '77 GS550 740cc major mods
                        '77 GS400 489cc racer build
                        '76 Rickman CR1000 GS1000/1100
                        '78 GS1000C/1100

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
                          All of these things can be improved, with modern tires, shocks and fork internals, brakes, maybe handlebars. As far as reliability, once everything is repaired and maintained properly, it will be as reliable as any modern motorcycle.
                          What tkent02 said....I've had my 650g for 25 years and its still better for my own "just plain do-it-all ridin'" than most of the new stuff and all of the custom stuff ...

Comment

Have you ever ridden a Sportster? They suck. Not even Harley guys like them, they rattle around too much and aren't comfortable at all. If you want to ride 200 miles, or even over 20 miles at a time then you have the bike already.
                            Harley guy here to confirm the horrid ride of older Sportys.

Evo Sportsters given decent shocks aren't terrible, but if you want an HD get an Evo Big Twin instead.

Go put thirty or forty thousand miles on the machine you have and learn what works for you.

Comment

I definitely don't want an HD. My original post was more referring to the appearance and visual style of the sportsters. Even if I do find that I'd prefer a V-twin cruiser, I'll stay with something Japanese. I've worked on enough Hondas, Toyotas, Nissans, and Subarus to know that Japanese engineers are my kinda folks. They tend to make it simple, make it serviceable, and make it reliable. I dig it

Comment

I'm a relative newb. Only riding 6 years, and only on one bike: my 78 GS1000.
                                However given regular maintenance it has never let me down.
                                I'm planning a 1800km bike trip next week and I have no reservations about it.
                                The bike will do what it's always done. It's "hammer reliable", and real comfy.

Comment

Working...
                                X