While going over the Roadkill bike for our ride to Colebrook tomorrow
    I noticed this on the newly painted tank;
    1984 GS1100GK newest addition to the heard
    80 GS 1000gt- most favorite ride love this bike
    1978 GS1000E- Known as "RoadKill" , Finished :D
    83 gs750ed- first new purchase
    85 EX500- vintage track weapon
    1958Ducati 98 Tourismo
    “Remember When in doubt use full throttle, It may not improve the situation ,but it will end the suspense ,
    If it isn't going to make it faster or safer it isn't worth doing

Who painted it? Hopefully not you lol

Comment

Looks like I'm riding the 1000g again
      1958Ducati 98 Tourismo
      “Remember When in doubt use full throttle, It may not improve the situation ,but it will end the suspense ,

Comment

Thats gas leaking through
        1958Ducati 98 Tourismo

Comment

Originally posted by hjfisk View Post
          Thats gas leaking through
          Ooh, that's a different story. It looked like maybe it had been painted with fuel-soluble paint (rattlecan, ie) that met fuel. Wow, that's a shame. So there's a hole in the tank. That's just awful.
          and God said, "Let there be air compressors!"
          __________________________________________________ ______________________
          2009 Suzuki DL650 V-Strom, 2004 HondaPotamus sigpic Git'cha O-ring Kits Here!

Comment

Did you seal the inside of the tank prior to paint?

Comment

That's hard to look at, I know how much work goes into a paint job.

Comment

Don't feel alone, when I had my '79 GS1000E tank repainted, I didn't have it sealed. Why should I? It didn't leak.
                That area under the gas cap, the recessed area was somewhat rusty, and it and the tank were all stripped, sanded and professionally painted.
                Oh so beautiful it came out. But then these little "bubbles" started appearing on the paint in that recessed area. Seems there was enough rust that it developed pin holes, although not visible, allowed air to escape under pressure resulting in those bubbles.
                I had the guy completely re work it, but we both under the impression it was a leaky gas cap seal that caused it. The result, it developed those bubbles again.
                Now, I wished I had sealed it in the first place, but oh well. I didn't have it fixed again and the paint has since lifted and cracked. But you don't see the damage until you take the gas cap off, so I live with it.

I've often wondered what I should do about it, and then never did anything, but if it really gets to bother me, I'll just grab my other tank out of the closet that was also repainted, and was sealed and put it on it.

Those are not decals either, those were painted on there, no ridges. Should've had that tank sealed.
                sigpic
                Steve
                "The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page." :cool:

Comment

That really sucks, but as Sedelan says don't despair, same thing happened to mine except mine was caused by a bad spot weld at the front where the locating lugs slide onto the rubbers. I silver soldered all around the lug all the time blowing compressed air through the tank to minimise spoiling the paintwork. I put a little pressure and used soapy water as a test to check it was sealed. I sent the tank back to the fella who originally did the paint work and he did a small repair job. You would never know it had had a repair.
                  Personally I don't like the idea of coating the inside of the tank, the place where yours is leaking would be an easy braze repair and just wash it along as far as you think would be necessary, a repair paint job and call it job done.
                  Don't panic, it really isn't as bad as it first seems.
                  sigpic

Don't say can't, as anything is possible with time and effort, but, if you don't have time things get tougher and require more effort.

Comment

That sucks Harry. Well its gonna need redone, so its time to do a tank liner.
                    MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
                    1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

I didn't line the tank because it does not show any rust on the inside. It looked like new. The rust was on the exterior. Just surface rust we thought. I didn't paint the bike. I had my brother do it. He is not a professional just a dabbler, but does a pretty nice job. So all I am out is, disappointment, materials, and time. I have not used a tank liner before. I picked up a POR15 liner kit, can anyone recommend, or condemn this product for me?
                      1958Ducati 98 Tourismo

Comment

POR 15 is highly recommended, follow the directions exactly.
                        http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

I think Por 15 is the one most of us go for.
                          I used Kreme once on my Skunk back in the day, it didn't work, and I threw that '78 GS1000E tank out with the trash, but that was in '83 (I think) and you could get a brand new painted tank for $200, and I did just that.
                          sigpic
                          Steve
                          "The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page." :cool:

Comment

I use and suggest the Caswell kit.
                            MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
                            1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

The only product I have ever used is Kreem. on my 1968 Royal Enfield 750 TT Interceptor. I put it in in 1987, without too strict adherence to the instructions. When I sold the bike in about 2002, it was still holding up fine, with no problems what so ever. Many people have had a different experience. I suspect that you might find that with many of these products.

Never should have sold it.

sigpic Too old, too many bikes, too many cars, too many things

Comment

Working...
                              X