No announcement yet.

How to make a grown man cry

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

over here in the u.k.our petrol(gas to you fella's) contains ethanol,it used to be 5% but this year it's due to be increased to 10%.the problem with ethanol(not sure if that's the right spelling)is it eat's everything carb 'o' rings, fuel lines,and tank liners,mags over here are full of horror stories and pics of what this **** does to tanks that have been treated with liner kits

Comment

850...The 77 has had Kreem in it since 2007 ( before I knew anything about Caswell or POR 15) and its still fine with not a speck of flaking.

Its my opinion only, that the MAIN problem peole have with Kreem comes from not draining the excess real good( which leaves a thick mess that cant dry in the bottom of then tank) and not curing it long enough even if its drained well.

The instructions say "at least" 24 hrs, and I suspect many think that "over night is good enough". well IT ISNT good enough!! In fact, I would wiat 2 or 3 days and have then tank in direct sunlight EVEN with the Caswell kit in!!

Extra time for complete confidence is priceless in my thinking. Want to rush and take shortcuts, then pay the price!!!!
      MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
      1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

The POR15 kit I bought says 96 hours for a full cure
        1984 GS1100GK newest addition to the heard
        80 GS 1000gt- most favorite ride love this bike
        1978 GS1000E- Known as "RoadKill" , Finished :D
        83 gs750ed- first new purchase
        85 EX500- vintage track weapon
        1958Ducati 98 Tourismo
        “Remember When in doubt use full throttle, It may not improve the situation ,but it will end the suspense ,
        If it isn't going to make it faster or safer it isn't worth doing

Comment

The Caswell says at least 24. But like I said I do a few days and in the sun to help heat and bake it on.
          MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
          1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Well I pulled the tank tonight and drained what was left of the gas out. Then I started the stripping of the tanks components, fuel gauge, petcock, and fuel cap. dried the tank out of remaining fuel. Then I started with the POR15 metal cleaning solution,[I think all it is , is that Awesome cleaner you get at the dollar tree. It has the slimy feeling on your hands and smells the same, plus it says it is non toxic] so I cleaned the tank as directed on the bottle, then I flushed the tank out for a good ten minutes with hot water,[Stuck a garden hose hooked to the hot water tank right in the tank and let it run spraying all over the inside with a pressure nozzle . After it draind I pulled all the tape off and absorbed the remaining water up with rags through the fuel gauge hole. then I blew it out with compressed air, and then dried it with a heat gun on the inside for a couple minutes. That was it for tonight. Tomorrow evening I am going to do the metal prep[etching,rust remover] as described on the can of POR15 metal prep. I am going to do this as directed because I don't trust tank liners that well. My race bike had one in it when I bought it , and we looked at it the other day and it is failing also. All I can do is keep my fingers crossed that this works.
            1958Ducati 98 Tourismo
            “Remember When in doubt use full throttle, It may not improve the situation ,but it will end the suspense ,

Comment

Well Tonight I did the Metal prep part of the Por15 kit, not sure exactly what the acid is that came with the kit but you could just slosh it around in the tank and the flash rusting that I got from the first part of the process just rinsed away, then I got a flash light and was looking in through the filler hole and gauge hole , and way down in the back corner [where it was leaking] sure enough there was some rust, but within 10 minutes with that acid it was gone back to bare metal. Then it was rinse the tank for 10-15 minute to get all the acid out, then dry it out with some rags in the gauge hole then compressed air and finally warm the tank dry with a heat gun set on low. After that it was time to put the liner in , shook and stirred it real good to make sure it was mixed well, then poured it in to the tank[ after sealing all the holes up again] rolled it around , stood it on end , swapped ends, turned it in every direction to make sure I got the entire thing covered on the inside. Then it was time to drain the excess out that took about 20 minutes to achieve now the tank is hanging in the shop with a small fan blowing on it. The kit says for it to cure for 96 hours before use , so I will be just waiting till Friday night , maybe Saturday before I can put it back on the bike. Will have a little paint repair to have done , thank fully the strip kit came with a spare set of red/gold strips, and my brother thinks he can fad it back , with out having to do a complete repaint.
              1958Ducati 98 Tourismo

Comment

Working...
              X