Will an GS650e seat fit a GS650g?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Will an GS650e seat fit a GS650g?

The reason I ask is that I am on the tall side with longer legs and don't need my seat "scooped" out. I like having more room between the seat and pegs. And I notice that E seats look much taller and flatter so if I could switch to one that would rock. Thanks.

Obviously, if they fit, then I'm interested if anyone has a nice one to sell!

Do you have a "G" or a "GL"?

The "G" seat is virtually flat, the "GL" seat is "scooped".

Can you post a picture of your bike?

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

It's a G. Not a GL:

Comment

Thanks for the info. I know it's only an inch or two but I would prefer it flatter and firmer. The G seat is mushy in addition to being cut down a bit it seems.

Comment

From my friend Eric:
          The answer is still NO.
          Why is someone saying that it is a direct fit???
          The taper of the rear tail angle where the seat meets is different between the two models.
          I have an '82650G and TRIED to put the 650E seat on it.
          It won't work!

Comment

Do you have a picture of the underside of the seat? The Fiche seem to suggest they are similar. I know some of the GSs hinge on the side. My 650E has to 'hooks' at the front of the frame that lock on to bolts on the front of the seat with a lockdown at the rear.

I think I understand what retcol is saying though. the tail is very different on the E, so it may require you to swap out the tail too. Not sure that'd be enough though

Comment

Originally posted by MAJikMARCer View Post
              I think I understand what retcol is saying though.
              Retcol didn't say anything.
              Originally posted by retcol View Post
              From my friend Eric: ...
              He is merely parroting a former member that was banned.

sigpic
              mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
              hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
              #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
              #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
              Family Portrait
              Siblings and Spouses
              Mom's first ride
              Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
              (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

My point was that there IS a big difference in the G and E tails. While an E seat may be made to fit, it's not going to fit or look right because of those differences.

The rail on the bottom of the E tail is fairly level until it hits the angle upwards. The G rail gently slopes up into a lower angle at the tail. The G also has different mounting points, so even trying to put an E tail on a G bike might require a bit of work.

As rare as the E bikes are, in comparison to the Gs, it would seem an awful lot of work to force the fit.

Frankly I'd be curious about the condition of the E seat pan. If it's in good shape, I would consider buying it and then Caferacernoc can use that money towards having his G seat shaved and recovered the way he wants it.

Comment

Yep. I see that. That answers that. Thank you. I think I will just have to dive in and modify it and have it recovered.

Originally posted by MAJikMARCer View Post
                  My point was that there IS a big difference in the G and E tails. While an E seat may be made to fit, it's not going to fit or look right because of those differences.

The rail on the bottom of the E tail is fairly level until it hits the angle upwards. The G rail gently slopes up into a lower angle at the tail. The G also has different mounting points, so even trying to put an E tail on a G bike might require a bit of work.

As rare as the E bikes are, in comparison to the Gs, it would seem an awful lot of work to force the fit.

Frankly I'd be curious about the condition of the E seat pan. If it's in good shape, I would consider buying it and then Caferacernoc can use that money towards having his G seat shaved and recovered the way he wants it.
                  Last edited by Guest; 07-19-2013, 06:41 PM.

Comment

Working...
                  X