Eastwood Powder Coating

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Eastwood Powder Coating

Does anybody have experience with Eastwood's powder coating system?

Get professional-grade powder coating system at home with Eastwood HotCoat. Our powder coat kit and system come in a range of colors. Shop now for the best deals!

It is fairly obvious to me that large items like frames would be hard to do at home, but the price of the kits and powder does not seem to be an impediment to doing small parts.

I was also wondering how the coatings stand up against commercial powder coating.
    '83 GS650G
    '83 GS550es (didn't like the colours in the 80's, but they've grown on me)

I have a friend who swears by Eastwood products and recently picked up one of their powder coating systems along with a garage sale oven. His finishes are at least as good as professional coating, but due to the size of the oven, only small bits & bobs.
    Sorry, no personal experience, only second hand knowledge. Paul

Comment

I started out with that set up. Works pretty good for the $$$. An old electric oven will get most things done, short of a frame that the bike guys want to bake.

Comment

Make a wood cabinet that's insulated and lined with sheet metal that's big enough for frames. Make a dolly to roll the frames in ( like a roll in holding jig).

Bake them, roll them out still on the jig to cool. Use the oven element and thermostat for the guts.
        MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
        1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

I think I just might treat myself to this system over the winter. With three (maybe a fourth coming?) bikes, I'm sure I can make use of it and at least cover the costs I'd pay for the work to be done at a shop.

Approximately how much powder would one go through for a frame? I'm guessing about 2 lbs?
          '83 GS650G
          '83 GS550es (didn't like the colours in the 80's, but they've grown on me)

Comment

my buddy has one for his old car parts.. im getting stuff ready to get some of my stuff done this winter. he uses 4 infrared heaters to bake on the powder. they turn out pretty good. i plan on getting one this yr,, theres a guy in NB that sells eastwood stuff so no duty,etc.. hes reasonable too.,

Comment

I live about two miles from Eastwood and have been using their products for years. The only reason I haven't gotten the powder coating setup is that much of what I need coated is too big for an oven...
              http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...ine=1352313915
              1979 GS1000

Comment

I have the eastwood gun and i get the supplies from various places.

make sure you get silicone plugs and nipples to protect holes and bolt threads.. you can get a large set off ebay for under 20 bucks. and powder too!!

Get a quart or so of ACETONE from lowes/homedepot etc.. you can use it to clean off your parts just before you dust the powder onto them.

for all my parts, i prebake at 200 F to outgass any oils or contaminants in or on them and i always get professional results

Comment

Originally posted by dark7068 View Post
                  my buddy has one for his old car parts.. im getting stuff ready to get some of my stuff done this winter. he uses 4 infrared heaters to bake on the powder. they turn out pretty good. i plan on getting one this yr,, theres a guy in NB that sells eastwood stuff so no duty,etc.. hes reasonable too.,
                  whos your contact? im looking to get some gallons of their paint and other stuff. but ebay or direct is all i have here in ontario..all has fees to please..

Comment

Working...
                  X