Stupid question about the seat cover

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stupid question about the seat cover

I want to cut the foam down a little bit (new shocks make the bike a little too tall) but can't figure out how the cover is attached to the seat pan. For reference, I have the original cover and have never removed it (no rips, tears, etc).

Originally posted by Tamara View Post
    I want to cut the foam down a little bit (new shocks make the bike a little too tall) but can't figure out how the cover is attached to the seat pan. For reference, I have the original cover and have never removed it (no rips, tears, etc).
    not sure about yours, but mine had little triangular wedges that bite into the cover. You can get replacement strips to rivet in if yours are broken or rusted.

Comment

Originally posted by MAJikMARCer View Post
      not sure about yours, but mine had little triangular wedges that bite into the cover. You can get replacement strips to rivet in if yours are broken or rusted.

That would explain why I couldn't see any obvious tacks/rivets/etc holding the cover on.

Comment

Before you start shaving the seat foam thinner, try just narrowing the front a bit.

When you come to a stop, having a narrower seat will let you put your legs down straighter, without having to spread them out around the front of the seat.

We did that on my wife's bike, you can't even tell it was done, but it fits her much better.

sigpic
        mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
        hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
        #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
        #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
        Family Portrait
        Siblings and Spouses
        Mom's first ride
        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
        (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
          Before you start shaving the seat foam thinner, try just narrowing the front a bit.

When you come to a stop, having a narrower seat will let you put your legs down straighter, without having to spread them out around the front of the seat.

We did that on my wife's bike, you can't even tell it was done, but it fits her much better.

Making the seat a little narrower is a good way to start. I have to decide whether to do it myself or have an upholsterer do it for me.

Comment

Yes on the little triangle spikes holding the dover on...which if rusty will usually snap off.
            So you rivet qa spike strip in place and replace he cover. this place sells them and some covers. Cruise around and see what all they have.

MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
            1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Originally posted by Tamara View Post
              Making the seat a little narrower is a good way to start. I have to decide whether to do it myself or have an upholsterer do it for me.
              If you do it yourself, you can shave a little off, test fit it, shave a little more off, test fit, etc., repeat as necessary.

Take it to an upholsterer, you will get back what he did. If you decide you don't like it, it will cost you more.

To shave off a little foam at a time, you can use a large rotary sander disk in a drill or an electric carving knife.
              Small amounts can make a big difference, so go slowly, check often.

sigpic
              mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
              hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
              #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
              #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
              Family Portrait
              Siblings and Spouses
              Mom's first ride
              Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
              (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by chuck hahn View Post
                Yes on the little triangle spikes holding the dover on...which if rusty will usually snap off.
                So you rivet qa spike strip in place and replace he cover. this place sells them and some covers. Cruise around and see what all they have.

http://www.pandkclassicbikes.co.uk/default.html
                My cover is still in great condition, no rips or anything. My new shocks have made the bike a wee tad too tall so I'm considering altering the foam so I can reach the ground on more than my tip toes.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                  If you do it yourself, you can shave a little off, test fit it, shave a little more off, test fit, etc., repeat as necessary.

Good point!

Comment

As Steve said, narrowing the front will make a big difference.
                    I usually just take my seats to a local vehicle upholstery dude and give them the specs of what I need for the seat profile.
                    http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...ine=1352313915
                    1979 GS1000

Comment

Working...
                    X