SS brake lines, color matching?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SS brake lines, color matching?

Now, I am very close to be able to do some road tests on my bike. However, there is the little issue of the brake lines. Now, the calipers (both front and back) have been rebuilt and powder coated red. The colors of the bike (tank and fenders) will be red/white. The frame, either satin black or gloss black.

With this color scheme what would you guys (and gals) suggest to go with? I may be leaning towards the red brake lines but since I will sell the bike soon after it is done, I want it to appeal to everyone. Basic choices are clear (silver), black, or red.

Clear or black.
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
      Clear or black.
      I feel like black would be the best choice. Looks stock and subdued, but man this bike is not subdued at all!

Comment

Go red if you want, but I can just about guarantee that it will be a different shade of red.

sigpic
        mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
        hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
        #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
        #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
        Family Portrait
        Siblings and Spouses
        Mom's first ride
        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
        (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

I guess we need pictures to decide.
          What bike is it anyway?

Comment

other than clear, any and all will probably fade after being exposed to the elements, the color typicall don't last very long, unless it's a solid application of colored line overtop of the SS braid.

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
              I guess we need pictures to decide.
              What bike is it anyway?
              It's for the 82 650g. But, the paint is not done yet. Still dealing with the dents in the tank, as well as the rust inside.

And yeah, I think Steve is right. Best to be black, then an off matched red I would be stuck with. Black it is! Muahahaha
              Last edited by Guest; 08-04-2013, 10:58 PM.

Comment

I can guarantee you red lines will fade FAST,did then on my 750.Not sure about the black but I went with clear for the 1000.

Comment

The clear will turn a little brown after a while. Not sure about the black.

Comment

I've had the smoked ones from AN Plumbing for a season and a half now, no fading that I can tell.

Comment

buy clear covered, plain stainless lines. then buy a few metres of heat shrink tubing with what ever colour you fancy. cover the lines with what ever colour you want. if you do them red and dont like it, peel off the heat shrink tubing and do them black. if it fades, redo them. if you sell it, pull it off and its back to stainless coloured again.
                      1978 GS1085.

Just remember, an opinion without 3.14 is just an onion!

Comment

Originally posted by Agemax View Post
                        buy clear covered, plain stainless lines. then buy a few metres of heat shrink tubing with what ever colour you fancy. cover the lines with what ever colour you want. if you do them red and dont like it, peel off the heat shrink tubing and do them black. if it fades, redo them. if you sell it, pull it off and its back to stainless coloured again.
                        Damn, master problem solver you are Agemax. I think I'll go with this awesome idea.

Thanks guys!

Comment

Originally posted by Agemax View Post
                          I see this working once, before the lines and bajos are all put together, once this happens I am not sure how your going to get more heat shrink on.....unless it's really big heat shrink that will fit over the banjos first, but it won't really shrink nicely over the thin ss line then.....

Will it ?

Comment

Originally posted by GateKeeper View Post
                            I see this working once, before the lines and bajos are all put together, once this happens I am not sure how your going to get more heat shrink on.....unless it's really big heat shrink that will fit over the banjos first, but it won't really shrink nicely over the thin ss line then.....

Will it ?

you can buy 3 to 1 ratio heat shrink. it fits over the banjo's fine and shrinks right down to the brake lines
                            1978 GS1085.

Just remember, an opinion without 3.14 is just an onion!

Comment

Cool......

Comment

Working...
                              X