Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Muriatic Acid for bringing plastic back??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Muriatic Acid for bringing plastic back??

I gather Muriatic Acid is used for treating rust in tanks, but I was watching an American car resto program, and they were scrubbing plastic rear lights with a brush and Muriatic Acid. Does anyone has experience of plastic and this acid for bringing plastic back to life? pros cons?

Well they sell the stuff in plastic jugs, so it must not hurt the plastic lenses..just dissolves the crud I would guess.
    MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
    1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

I might try something less caustic than muriatic though. That stuff is pretty dangerous. Maybe phosphoric acid or even vinegar.

Comment

Yeah, it's phosphoric acid that is used to treat rusty tanks, did it myself once, worked like a charm. Don't know what the difference is with muriatic acid?
        Currently bikeless
        '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
        '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

Originally posted by Jethro View Post
          Yeah, it's phosphoric acid that is used to treat rusty tanks, did it myself once, worked like a charm. Don't know what the difference is with muriatic acid?
          On rusty tanks, muriatic is strong enough to eat metal, so it can be tricky in the tank. It also will tear up flesh, gives off dangerous fumes (I think), etc.

Phosphoric is much easier to deal with (though I wouldn't bathe in it, so wear gloves, etc.), won't eat through the tank, and leaves a bit of protection against flash rust.

As for refreshing plastic, I am not sure if phosphoric would work as well, but I'd try that before donning the hazmat suit for muriatic.

Comment

OK so there is no definitive answer, I have some spare broken slightly faded instrument plastics, if I can get hold of some acid I'll mask up and give it a shot and report back
            Cheers

Comment

If I remember my chemistry, muriatic acid is another name for hydrochloric acid. Nasty stuff.

Comment

Muriatic acid is extremely caustic and dangerous, it's often used for etching steel and concrete. One hapless whiff of the fumes will make you feel like you got hit in the sinuses by a 2x8 swung by a ravening angel dust smoking silver back gorilla. Be. F$^%ing. Ware.
                "Men will never be free until Mark learns to do The Twist."

-Denis D'shaker

79 GS750N

Comment

It is diluted HCL, and should be handled with care.
                  It is what is normally used to clean pools.

I don't know why it would need to be used on plastic, since there are many other alternatives.
                  http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...ine=1352313915
                  1979 GS1000

Comment

Originally posted by Allie View Post
                    a ravening angel dust smoking silver back gorilla.
                    You got a lot of those down in Jersey, don't ya?
                    Currently bikeless
                    '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
                    '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

I've used muriatic acid several times to clean metal.

Nasty, nasty stuff. It will eat your gloves, but so will acetone.

Whatever.

-Matt

Comment

Also make sure all aluminum is away from the stuff. I use It frequently. Clean my garage floors and clean my driveway. Yes it stinks. But dies kill the weeds, grass, and any other thing it touches..lol

Comment

Yes, muriatic acid is hydrochloric acid. I would not use it on plastic. It may not attack some plastics. If they were using it to clean the fogged up lenses, what they are actually doing is removing the top layer of plastic with the brush and the acid. They make products to that job that are a lot safer to use. I'd look at an auto parts store for something else. If you do decide to try it, use heavy rubber gloves and safety glasses. Keep a hose handy to flush a LOT of water over any area where it comes in contact with the skin.
                          JP
                          1982 GS1100EZ (awaiting resurrection)
                          1992 Concours
                          2001 GS500 (Dad's old bike)
                          2007 FJR

Comment

You can use diluted Hydroflouric Acid to clean wheels. It removes brake dust residue with amazing efficiency. If you get it on your skin, or breath it in, you r a luser, though.
                            (It is used to etch glass.)
                            Last edited by gsgeezer; 08-27-2013, 04:14 PM.
                            http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...ine=1352313915
                            1979 GS1000

Comment

Working...
                            X