Tail tabs broken, how did you fix

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tail tabs broken, how did you fix

Just got the bike. 83 1100E, the side tabs at the rear of the tail are broken and missing. Am thinking of using epoxy and some sort of L bracket. I am thinking some has done this same type of repair before. Any pointers??

The easiest and best fix is to use the ABS slurry and ABS plastic sheet if you can get it.
    ABS slurry is made by mixing acetone and pieces of ABS plastic. The acetone melts the plastic and it becomes like a glue. You can make it thicker or thinner by the amount of plastic added. a consistency of honey is best in my experience.

Since the slurry is essentially liquid plastic it will bond directly with the bodywork. You can get the ABS from the plumbing section of the hardware store i.e. pipes or even using Lego blocks. Plastic ABS sheet is available from plastic wholesalers and retailers.

This is a repair I did to a chin fairing on my 82 Kat.:

The white part is plastic sheet and its joined with the slurry. The slurry can be sanded and painted just like the original bodywork.

If you wanted to you could fabricate metal tabs and bond them to the original plastic with the slurry. Just use your imagination.

Comment

If its made of abs, I would use a product called plastifix.

Comment

It's an expensive product (Plastifix), but check out this video:

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.
        '83 GS650G
        '83 GS550es (didn't like the colours in the 80's, but they've grown on me)

Comment

I don't know how to distinguish the various types of plastic from one another. How does one know if the plastic is ABS or not? Generally speaking, is the plastic body panels found on the '76-'85 GS's ABS?

Comment

Originally posted by spyug View Post
            ABS slurry is made by mixing acetone and pieces of ABS plastic. The acetone melts the plastic and it becomes like a glue. You can make it thicker or thinner by the amount of plastic added. a consistency of honey is best in my experience.

Since the slurry is essentially liquid plastic it will bond directly with the bodywork. You can get the ABS from the plumbing section of the hardware store i.e. pipes or even using Lego blocks.
            How do you prepare the plastic for mixing with the acetone? Do you grind the plastic pipe or lego with a cheese grater or something?

Comment

How do you prepare the plastic for mixing with the acetone? Do you grind the plastic pipe or lego with a cheese grater or something?
              You can just cut the plastic in small pieces and place them in a covered jar with the acetone. As the plastic dissolves, add more plastic to get it to the consistency you want.
              IMHO this method is a really crude way to repair items, I would much rather use the plastifix.

I don't know how to distinguish the various types of plastic from one another. How does one know if the plastic is ABS or not?
              Here is a table that may be helpful:

http://www.urethanesupply.com/identify.php

Comment

Working...
              X