No announcement yet.

Painting gas tank with Epoxy (appliance) paint – some questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ooo, I wonder if you can still get Harvest Gold?

Comment

The first time I painted the 750's frame.

And the last time I did it,kinda like the satin.May do a single coat then leave it to see how that works.

Did the 78 1000 frame to.There where 2 cans sprayed on it.The first time I did the 750 frame I used 1 can.That just wasn't enough.I use it on all my hard use parts.The side and center stands for the 750 will be redone in "epoxy".One note here,this is NOT epoxy paint.Real epoxy paint is a 2 part product.My father used to work for a company that made it. Appliance epoxy is a REALLY strong enamel,even says so right on the can.The real epoxy is pretty good stuff with it only draw back being a "chalking" when exposed to UV.

Comment

....that's what I thought too, sv'.
        Epoxy means "Cold Cure" and the like of it to me- aTwo-part glue or coating that "kicks off".... oh well, it looks like good stuff whatever, but I was worried I'd slept through some great leap in chemistry.

Comment

I make stuff at my machine shop that goes on 737s, aircraft carriers, and A-10s. Both Boeing and the government require that we use 2 part epoxy paint. If it's good enough for the aircraft carrier it's good enough for my bike.

Comment

It's pretty hard and tough against rocks and things flying into it? Resists chips and pits?

I need to paint a dirt bike frame, was going to use Hammerite or POR-15 but this may work.
            http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Follow up on this epoxy paint stuff.

Grabbed a few cans of white to try this out on another tank. I'd like to work in some red stripes, but alas, no red appliance paint.

How does the epoxy paint react to other paints (enamels)? Will the appliance paint adhere/cover regular paint? If so, I could shoot the color and tape it off, followed with the appliance paint.

Or, will enamel paints work on top of the appliance paint (after a week of drying time, etc.? That would let me layout the color on top of the white.

Comment

This black epoxy doesn't react too well over other paints, but after cure, the other way around seems to work.

Comment

So I have been able to find white, almond, biscuit, black and maybe faux stainless steel. Does that seem to about it as far as the available colors?
                  1983 GS 1100 Guided Laser
                  1983 GS 1100 G
                  2000 Suzuki Intruder 1500, "Piggy Sue"
                  2000 GSF 1200 Bandit (totaled in deer strike)
                  1986 Suzuki Cavalcade GV 1400 LX (SOLD)

I find working on my motorcycle mildly therapeutic when I'm not cursing.

Comment

Appliance Paint Canary Yellow, Petal Pink, Turquoise Green, Woodtone Brown, Copper Brown, Ivory, Primrose Yellow, Lilac, Aztec Copper, 101 Stratford Yellow, 103 Sherwood Green, 157 Sheffield Gray, 158 Mayfair Pink, 181 Charcoal Gray, 204 Yellow, 205 Turquoise, Cadet Blue, 210 Coral Pink, 311 Sunburst Yellow, 417 Meadow Green, 515 Seafoam Blue, 1207 Coppertone, 1302 Woodland Brown, Autumn Rose, Bermuda Pink, Buttercup Yellow, Dawn Gray, Harvest Yellow, Lagoon Blue, Sand Beige, Spring Green, Surf Turquoise, Village Green, Copper Pink, Moonstone Gray, White

Seems like good list, but haven't checked beyond a quick search.

Comment

Wow, thanks. I wonder if you can still buy all of those.
                      1983 GS 1100 Guided Laser
                      1983 GS 1100 G
                      2000 Suzuki Intruder 1500, "Piggy Sue"
                      2000 GSF 1200 Bandit (totaled in deer strike)
                      1986 Suzuki Cavalcade GV 1400 LX (SOLD)

I find working on my motorcycle mildly therapeutic when I'm not cursing.

Comment

Working...
                      X