No announcement yet.

Windshield

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think that the seize and weight of the bike has a lot to do with it also. The bike I was riding at the time was a Yamaha XS400 so quite light. Most probably the bike itself was being pushed by the wind gusts and the windscreen just helped amplify the movement.

I do believe the weight of a bike has a lot to do with how it behaves in in conditions of wind. I have ridden 125s 250s,400s, 500s, 550s 650s and 750s and everything up to the 750s seemed easily influenced by winds and or pressure waves off of passing vehicles. With both the GS750 and now the FZ750 I have not noticed that at all.

Also, those bikes with frame mounted fairings don't seem to be as easily affected as those with bar mounted windshields.

In summary, I'd say bar mounted shields would be fine 90% of the time but just be aware of those winds coming on the rear quarter as they could catch it and use it like a sail taking control away from you.

Good luck and let us know what you decide.

Comment

I went through several different windshields on my 78 GS750 back in the day. I started off with a small windsheild that was actually made for a scooter. It offered no protection for the hands, it only took the wind blast off of my chest. That made a big difference in the fatigue level for an all day ride. I had a couple of Plexifairings that improved the protection by taking the wind blast off of my hands, but made little change in the fatigue level. I had a Vetter Windjammer on the bike for the last two years I had it. By far it offered the best protection and most comfortable riding conditions (as long as the temps stayed below 80-85 F). It was slightly better than the smaller fairings for reducing fatigue, although the relative fatigue levels may be obsucred by my old fart's memory.

As far as getting blown around the road by wind & other vehicles, the larger the windshield/fairing the greater the effect. The worst for that was the 97 GS500 I had for a few years,due to it's ligher weight. But in all cases it wasn't unmanageable. I was more concerned about it when I was younger, but with experience you learn to compensate for it the same way you do if switching from a larger to a smaller car, at an almost subconscious level.
      JP
      1982 GS1100EZ (awaiting resurrection)
      1992 Concours
      2001 GS500 (Dad's old bike)
      2007 FJR

Comment

I agree that you will adapt to the behaviour of the bike over time but its the first unexpected event that could be disasterous.

In my case I never gave it a moments thought and it nearly got me. Subsequently, I obtained my copy of David L. Hough series Proficient Motorcycling and found he talks about it in one of the early chapters. If I'd have known that, it would have been in my mind at the time of the incident ...perhaps.

Same thing happened with gravel and sand. Never thought about it until I ventured on to a parking lot coated in it and went down as soon as my back tire touched. Again read about it later and since its always uppermost in my mind when I ride.

Forewarned is forearmed I believe.

Be aware and ride safely.

Comment

Working...
        X