Engine/Case Guards

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Engine/Case Guards

So I went to my local salvage yard and found a set of case guards on a bike. They look to be in good condition with no peeling of the chrome. The guy says he wants $30 for them? Are they worth it? Just not real sure on the price point on these things?

Thanks.

If they fit your bike and you like the looks of them, then sure. Where else are you gonna find them that doesn't involve shipping costs and a wait?
    No signature :(

Comment

For $30, I would probably take them even if the chrome was peeling.

sigpic
      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
      Family Portrait
      Siblings and Spouses
      Mom's first ride
      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Thinking I will have to get over there and grab them now. Thanks for the input.

One last question, are they pretty much universal between years?

Thanks again.

Comment

Sometimes. Not sure if the '82 1100G had different mounts than the 1000G, but 850G bars (of the same years) would fit for sure.

The 1000G was only out for two years, '80 and '81, there were no changes other than paint, so the bars will work for either one.

sigpic
          Family Portrait
          Siblings and Spouses
          Mom's first ride
          Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post

The 1000G was only out for two years, '80 and '81, there were no changes other than paint, so the bars will work for either one.

*Ahem*. Turn signals and a few other subtleties.

I don't know if the bars will interchange between the 1000 and 1100 either, but I don't get many opportunities to correct Steve.
            Last edited by Dogma; 09-24-2013, 12:41 PM.
            Dogma
            --
            O LORD, be gracious to me; heal me, for I have sinned against you! - David

Skeptical scrutiny is the means, in both science and religion, by which deep insights can be winnowed from deep nonsense. - Carl Sagan

--
            '80 GS850 GLT
            '80 GS1000 GT
            '01 ZRX1200R

How to get a "What's New" feed without the Vortex, and without permanently quitting the Vortex

Comment

Originally posted by Dogma View Post
              *Ahem*. Turn signals and a few other subtleties.

I don't know if the bars will interchange between the 1000 and 1100 either, but I don't get many opportunities to correct Steve.
              I'm sorry..I don't understand What do signals have to do with engine case gaurds?? Am I missing something?
              No signature :(

Comment

Originally posted by trevor View Post
                I'm sorry..I don't understand What do signals have to do with engine case gaurds?? Am I missing something?
                No, Trevor, you are not missing anything except Dogma's statement.
                ... I don't get many opportunities to correct Steve.
                Let him revel in a rare opportunity.

Yes, I was a bit incomplete with my statement. Should have been:
                "There were no changes from '80 to '81 that would prevent the use of one year's case guards on the other year."

sigpic
                Family Portrait
                Siblings and Spouses
                Mom's first ride

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                  No, Trevor, you are not missing anything except Dogma's statement.

Let him revel in a rare opportunity.

Yes, I was a bit incomplete with my statement. Should have been:
                  "There were no changes from '80 to '81 that would prevent the use of one year's case guards on the other year."

Do you have a smiley for revelling?
                  Dogma
                  --

Skeptical scrutiny is the means, in both science and religion, by which deep insights can be winnowed from deep nonsense. - Carl Sagan

--
                  '80 GS850 GLT
                  '80 GS1000 GT
                  '01 ZRX1200R

How to get a "What's New" feed without the Vortex, and without permanently quitting the Vortex

Comment

Originally posted by trevor View Post
                    Sorry 'bout the confusion. Just pestering Steve.
                    Dogma
                    --

--
                    '80 GS850 GLT
                    '80 GS1000 GT
                    '01 ZRX1200R

Comment

Make sure you get the mounting hardware, too.

Be VERRRRRRRY careful mounting these to your bike -- on the bottom mounts, you have to watch the bolt lengths carefully or you'll punch a hole in your engine. No fun.
                      1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
                      2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
                      2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
                      Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Do you have a smiley for revelling?

sigpic
                        Family Portrait
                        Siblings and Spouses
                        Mom's first ride

Comment

Originally posted by bwringer View Post
                          Make sure you get the mounting hardware, too.

Be VERRRRRRRY careful mounting these to your bike -- on the bottom mounts, you have to watch the bolt lengths carefully or you'll punch a hole in your engine. No fun.
                          That is very true, didn't think about that part on the bottom bolt, but makes sense now that you state that.

Thank you.

Comment

My comments, though not expert are as follows: I had a 1980 gs 1000L.A guy in dallas had a 79.I sold him my guards for $20.They didnt fit, i gave him his money back.I ran into this problem when trying to make forward controls for members here.There is different fitment for many different years, so no way to make a generic set due to placement of mounting holes.
                            future owner of some year and displacement GS bike,as yet unclaimed and unowned.

Comment

I am with Steve..peeling chrome just means dechroming and either painting or powder coating them.. And heres a handy little recipie that works for home dechroming....what you do with the sludge and chromium in the pail is your business. I don't want to know.

MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
                              1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Working...
                              X