Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Clearcoat before or after applying decals/pinstriping?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Clearcoat before or after applying decals/pinstriping?

I am getting ready to paint my 80gs1000e and am not sure about the clearcoat. I have heard/read that many people get the paint finished first, then stripe/add decals and then apply the clearcoat as the final step.

However, I have also heard the opposite....to clearcoat first and then as the last step, apply the pinstriping and or decals.

Anybody have experience with their setup they would like to share? Opinions or suggestions?

I remember reading a post here in the last week indicating that striping must be put on after the clearcoat because it needs to be able to breathe, otherwise it can cause the paint to crack. YMMV, of course.

Comment

I have heard/read that many people get the paint finished first, then stripe/add decals and then apply the clearcoat as the final step.
      I have put decals under the clearcoat on two helmets I painted and had no problems with them lifting or otherwise cracking the paint. It is good to clearcoat over the decals because it seals them in nicely and prevents lifting later. Especially on the fuel tank where spills will take off decals in no time.

Mark

Comment

i think it depends on the material of the pinstriping or decals. my flame decals said i could clearcoat ontop of them or put them on after clearcoat.which ever i chose

Comment

The painter who did my 1980 GS550E also paints for CBR and Yoshimura and he put the clearcoat over the decals.

Comment

I have just had some body work done in Red and White 1000S colours.
            The decals and pinstriping went under the clear coat. It is said it gives better protection and smooth finish. But what can happen is the thinners can attack the glue on the tape and pinstriping can lift when clear coat is being applied. Particularly if you have a tight turn and the tape is stressed. My feelings and preferences are under clear coat. But in saying that one of my bikes has striping over the clear coat so it gives the opportunity to change it round from time to time when I feel creative.. but what usually happens is I get one side done so the bike has different designs each side..

Simon

Comment

Thanks for all the info. If I can swing it, I'll get the striping on before the clearcoat. I hope to post pictures as soon as she's painted!

Comment

clearcoating decals

Hello guys

Take note ! if painting base /clear the following must apply. The color is only a dye and has no protective properties, so u must apply two coats of clear over the color and let it dry over night. In the AM watersand the parts u wish to apply the decals to with 600 grit wet / dry paper with warm water and a cap of dish soap. use the palm of your hand and not the fingers as u can leave finger marks / stripes in the clear.
                The main objective is to dull and smooth the clear and wash with clean water to remove the sanding film / dust from the parts.and wipedry with a clean new cloth, use a tack rag $0.98 at local hardware or paint stores. wipe the area that the decals are going and not to press hard or it will leave a sticky film and you will then have to wash the tank with a grease and wax solvent. apply the decals as directed and fimally apply 2-3 caots of clear over the entire area and ENJOY your beutiful work.
                ONE VERY IMORTANT POINT TO REMEMBER ALWAYS WAS YOUR HANDS WELL AFTER EATING OR CONTACTING OIL OR GREASE ! AND STAY AWAY FROM ARMORE ALL OR SIMILAR PRODUCT.

Best of luck Archie

Comment

Originally posted by fastpakr
                  I remember reading a post here in the last week indicating that striping must be put on after the clearcoat because it needs to be able to breathe, otherwise it can cause the paint to crack. YMMV, of course.
                  That was me and I was refering to pinstripe tape (vinyl in particular) It will stretch and shrink with temperature changes more than the metal or paint on a tank. Graphics painted on and special decals designed for under clearcoats that shouldn't be a problem.

Comment

Clearcoating any emblem can be problematic if not painted vary carefully. Pinstriping particulary depends on the brand. There are some that should not be cleared over they do not have the correct surface for the paint to adhere to , you may be able to paint light coats and finally get a nice coat on there. but long term durability will be very low. Its best to check the manufacture to see if it can be cleared over. A lot of pinstripes should not be painted over.. unless painted on ....and even then if it sits more then 24 hours and is not wetsanded the paint will not have a secure bond.

Comment

I am getting ready to paint my 80gs1000e and am not sure about the clearcoat. I have heard/read that many people get the paint finished first, then stripe/add decals and then apply the clearcoat as the final step.
                      I have the same bike and looking to paint it soon. Did you find the decals somewhere? I've been looking and no luck so far.

Comment

Originally posted by Swanny
                        I have the same bike and looking to paint it soon. Did you find the decals somewhere? I've been looking and no luck so far.
                        Not yet, and I've looked everywhere! What I did do was do a pencil rubbing on my current stripes on the tail and side covers so I can scan them into the computer and make a template so I can get vinyl ones made up custom style. I didn't have the stripes on the tank so I'll have to design ones similar to the others. I shall share the template .jpgs when finished if that helps anybody. My stripes are the kind that are angled and in a sideways U shape on the tail, side cover and tank. 3 shades of blue striping. I'll post the results soon enough. 8)

Comment

Yes, I think that is my style also. Three shades of blue on a silver base. Sounds good - you do all the work and I benefit!

If it helps to get 2 sets made at one time (discount maybe) let me know.

Comment

No sweat. So yours has the striping still on the tank...and its that sideways U style (or a C facing towards the back of the bike)? If so, would you be willing to do a pencil rub on your tank and send it to me so I can get a full and true pattern for our bikes? All I did was tape a piece of paper down over the striping I had on the side panel and tail and then shade it with a dull pencil. I'll just invert the template for the other side of the bike to make a full set. As long as the paper is securely taped in place when doing the pencil rub, the template will be perfect. Only 1 side needed!

I'll post a pic of my stripes and also of the rubbing. If we do indeed have the same thing, getting a rub of your tank would be sweet. Then we'de have a full set! I'll do all of the scanning and template making and price out/send around the design to get a price on a set in nice new shiney vinyl!!!! Whoooohoo!

Comment

Do you need more than just the tank? Some is peeling away, but I may have a complete set if I do both sides. I'm not sure until I go check, but between us we may be golden.

I'm leaving for a ride in the Black Hills right now. I'll do this on Monday.

Comment

Working...
                              X