GS1100 Gas Tank Replacement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS1100 Gas Tank Replacement

I want my 1980 GS1100 (GSX1100 in Australia) to look as good as my old '79 GS1000. A bikini fairing on the front was a big improvement but I still hate the look of the gas tank. Will a GS1000 gas tank fit properly on my GS1100? All the mountings look the same from what I can remember. Or are the undreneaths of the tanks different. If any body knows.

I have put an 1100E tank on the earlier GS1000E, it fit fine and once painted it looked pretty good. If you weren't a GS expert you'd never know it wasn't original. Haven't gone the other way, but it should fit.
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

I have a 1981 GS1100E frame and I just tried the tank from my 1978 GS1000 on it and it fit can not say it is exact but looks like it I have the 2 frames side by side and for the most part the front 1/2 look real close to the same
      Tom

Comment

Cool. Now all I got to do is find one that's affordable. Thanks guys. Oh yeah. What I really want is a gas tank off a GS1000S but I'm figuring the frames were all the same (at least in the gas tank area. Thanks guys

Comment

Tank Swap

When you get the 1000 tank put on, you can sell me the big, 6.3 gallon GSX1100 tank, right?
          Tnx
          G
          sigpic1983 1100 Katana - soon to be turbo Busa powered.
          2007 GSXR1K-Sold-But not forgotten.
          Have 2X ZG14 engine's for '81 GS750E project.
          '82 GS750E frame is TITLED awaiting GSXR1127/12B engine and '81 1100E slowly being built.:eek:

Comment

Originally posted by MiketheBike View Post
            Cool. Now all I got to do is find one that's affordable. Thanks guys. Oh yeah. What I really want is a gas tank off a GS1000S but I'm figuring the frames were all the same (at least in the gas tank area. Thanks guys
            The 1000E tanks are the hardest to find of all. Especially the '78 and '79.
            http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

They are rare and pricey but do give it a nice look. The '80-'81 GS11E tanks are similar shaped but not exact and are lower than the GSX. Would be a nice alternative if you can't find the 1000E tank. I have a flat US tank if you want to trade. Just a thought.
              Laters
              G
              '82 GS750E frame is TITLED awaiting GSXR1127/12B engine and '81 1100E slowly being built.:eek:

Comment

Check that the fuel tap clears the carbs, may or may not have t make a plan there.

Comment

Thanks guys. The existing tank holds just under 20L (definitely not 6 gallons). I will work out a plan B if the petrol cock is in the way.

Comment

Is 20 Litres about 5 gallons? Then you may already have the small tank.
                    Don't know what else to say.
                    Laters
                    G

Comment

Working...
                    X