Mirrors

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mirrors

My 1980 GS400 gas no mirros on it, I'm looking to get a couple of chrome type round mirrors. What thread/size do they use? I was just going to hit ebay for a set of after makets. Any tips on this?

One of the mirrors has left hand threads. Can't remember which side but be careful what you buy.
    Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Are they 8mm threads?

Comment

I believe the left-hand mirror often has a left-hand thread. Suzuki used both 8mm and 10mm mirrors - assuming you have the original mounts. Best way to be sure of what you need is to try to run a tap into the fixing. Just be careful not to damage the left-handed thread, if it's there.
        1980 GS550ET

Comment

Originally posted by steveb922 View Post
          ...run a tap into the fixing
          I don't own any taps

Comment

Take a bolt from somewhere else on the bike. Ideally two bolts - 1 x 8mm, 1 x 10mm. Which one fits the right-hand mirror mount? Does the same bolt also thread into the left-hand mount?
            1980 GS550ET

Comment

Noob question here, if a 10mm spanner fits the bolt head does that just indicate the bolt head is 10mm or is it universally accepted that it's a 10mm diameter thread on the bolt?

Comment

Originally posted by brettule View Post
                Noob question here, if a 10mm spanner fits the bolt head does that just indicate the bolt head is 10mm or is it universally accepted that it's a 10mm diameter thread on the bolt?
                No. No ..........

Comment

Diameter definitely!! Ray
                  "Nobody goes there anymore, it's too crowded" -Yogi Berra
                  GS Valve Shim Club http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=122394
                  1978 GS1000EC Back home with DJ
                  1979 GS1000SN The new hope
                  1986 VFR700F2 Recycled

Comment

Originally posted by Nessism View Post
                    One of the mirrors has left hand threads. Can't remember which side but be careful what you buy.
                    I have not seen them all, but I have not yet seen a GS with left-hand threads for mirrors.

Yamahas, yes. Suzuki, no.

I believe they are 10mm threads.

sigpic
                    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                    Family Portrait
                    Siblings and Spouses
                    Mom's first ride
                    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

I was just thinking the same thing, Yamaha is notorious for it but no other bikes that I know of and the last 5 Zuks I worked on didn't have any lefty threads.

Comment

yes,as per Steve,on my 400 they are both 10mm and right-hand thread. However , left and right mirrors are different unless you buy "Universal" mirrors that can be turned around completely on the arms themselves.

Comment

Originally posted by spyug View Post
                          I was just thinking the same thing, Yamaha is notorious for it but no other bikes that I know of and the last 5 Zuks I worked on didn't have any lefty threads.
                          Yes, and you'd think it was that way so the wind blast would tighten them up, but it isn't so!

Comment

Originally posted by Nessism View Post
                            I think only my Yamahas have left hand threads.. I like the stock mirrors on my GS, and the isolating mounts they came with.
                            sigpic Too old, too many bikes, too many cars, too many things

Comment

the throttle side (right hand mirror) has a reverse thread

Comment

Working...
                              X