Dumb question about lowering

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dumb question about lowering

I'm vertically challenged and it's been suggested that I shave the foam on my seat to more easily reach the ground. It makes sense except that doesn't change the width of the side covers below the seat. Wouldn't I still have a problem reaching the ground? This wasn't a problem in the past because I had saggy rear shocks which have been replaced with lovely new progressives.

The other suggestion someone gave me was get lowering blocks to drop the height about an inch. I am not at all familiar with these or how they work.

The time to do it would have been when you ordered the shocks, they make slightly shorter ones. Maybe Progressive will swap them out? Cutting the foam may help a little, but it's a poor method. The lowering blocks are worse. Are you happy with the spring rate on the new shocks? If they are too stiff, slightly softer ones will let it sag a little more. Did you measure the sag with and without you sitting on the bike? Is it correct? A lot of shock companies love to sell too stiff springs for some reason. They should still swap the springs for you since you just bought them.
    Raising the forks in the clamps won't do much without lowering the rear too, you can't go very far without screwing up the handling.

How about some strength training and balancing practice? Stiff enough boots that you can get a toe down ballerina style? That's what I do on my taller bikes, but they are light ones.
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
      The time to do it would have been when you ordered the shocks, they make slightly shorter ones. Maybe Progressive will swap them out? Cutting the foam may help a little, but it's a poor method. The lowering blocks are worse. Are you happy with the spring rate on the new shocks? If they are too stiff, slightly softer ones will let it sag a little more. Did you measure the sag with and without you sitting on the bike? Is it correct? A lot of shock companies love to sell too stiff springs for some reason. They should still swap the springs for you since you just bought them.
      Raising the forks in the clamps won't do much without lowering the rear too, you can't go very far without screwing up the handling.

How about some strength training and balancing practice? Stiff enough boots that you can get a toe down ballerina style? That's what I do on my taller bikes, but they are light ones.
      I'm pretty strong for my size (strength training and yoga). There is no difference in sag when I sit on the bike (apparently my whopping 100 pounds is not enough to do the trick). I may see if it's not too late to swap the springs for something softer.

Comment

Originally posted by Tamara View Post
        I'm pretty strong for my size (strength training and yoga). There is no difference in sag when I sit on the bike (apparently my whopping 100 pounds is not enough to do the trick). I may see if it's not too late to swap the springs for something softer.
        Yeah, that's not right. Do a little googling about setting static sag, and rider sag, or racer sag, or whatever they want to all it. The bike absolutely should squish down a bit when you sit on it.

I think they sold you too stiff springs.

How does it feel when you hit bumps? Painful?

Comment

Yeah, that's not right. Do a little googling about setting static sag, and rider sag, or racer sag, or whatever they want to all it. The bike absolutely should squish down a bit when you sit on it.

I think they sold you too stiff springs.

How does it feel when you hit bumps? Painful?
          There isn't a lot of give on bumps but fortunately Florida doesn't have a lot of bumps. I'm going to google the sag thing and see if we can do any adjustments for it.

Comment

Tamara, perhaps you can put the springs from your old shocks onto the new shocks.
            They are not that difficult to take apart. I did it with a pair of those strap-ratchets and I was suprised how easy it was.

Also, narrowing the seat may give you some xtra "leg" as well. It might be worth experimenting with some rolled-up blankets to test seat height and shape before you cut into your seat.

Comment

Originally posted by Gorminrider View Post
              Tamara, perhaps you can put the springs from your old shocks onto the new shocks.
              They are not that difficult to take apart. I did it with a pair of those strap-ratchets and I was suprised how easy it was.

Also, narrowing the seat may give you some xtra "leg" as well. It might be worth experimenting with some rolled-up blankets to test seat height and shape before you cut into your seat.
              My friend showed me how the springs and shocks go together. I may get him to help me ratchet the springs down and try the old ones with the new shocks. They definitely won't be as pretty as the shiny black progressive springs though.

Good idea about using rolled blankets to experiment with seat height. I always knew this forum is a great resource for clever ideas .

Comment

ah, Rustoleum shiny black! but be careful if you sand chrome. I insist you wear a mask

added:and a vacuum cleaner.
                Last edited by Gorminrider; 10-12-2013, 09:11 PM.

Comment

ah, Rustoleum shiny black! but be careful if you sand chrome. I insist you wear a mask

added:and a vacuum cleaner.
                  I have asthma so I normally wear a mask when doing anything in the garage that's going to stir up "dust".

Comment

Did you determine the springs they sold you are too stiff?
                    Progressive should do a swap.

Comment

I would be modding the seat before lowering the bike.
                      You can make your seat any profile you want.
                      http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...ine=1352313915
                      1979 GS1000

Comment

Did you determine the springs they sold you are too stiff?
                        Progressive should do a swap.
                        I'm going to call Monday and see. I did ask for the softest ones they had.

Comment

Originally posted by Tamara View Post
                          I'm going to call Monday and see. I did ask for the softest ones they had.
                          They may not have any for a one hundred pounder.

You could always have some made if the suzuki ones don't work.

Comment

I forgot to mention... a cosmetic idea per the old springs if you put your old ones on the new shocks...
                            On mine, it was just the up-side chrome surfaces that were bit rusty so I flipped them top to bottom-Voila-looks better! and saved painting/sanding

Comment

I forgot to mention... a cosmetic idea per the old springs if you put your old ones on the new shocks...
                              On mine, it was just the up-side chrome surfaces that were bit rusty so I flipped them top to bottom-Voila-looks better! and saved painting/sanding
                              I'll have to take a closer look at my old ones. I know there is some surface rust considering they are 28 years old and the first 20 years were up in the Northeast.

Comment

Working...
                              X