No announcement yet.

Painting Question - Am I messing up?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

80psi is high. I just sprayed my son's Jeep this morning,60 degrees +-, 3 coats color, 1 coat clear. 60psi at the compressor, 45 +- at the gun, old syphon gun, paint from Eastwood. Glass.

Last edited by Guest; 10-15-2013, 03:01 PM.

Comment

Yeah 80 PSI is way high.IIRC I did mine at 45 PSI

Comment

Thanks guys. I'm going in at it again later but I have two different homework assignments to help with so it may not happen tonight.

I was just using my hand instead of a block Larry so I'll swap to that. And I'm using 1000-grit right now; I can drop down but I was afraid of going too far.
        Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
        1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
        2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
        Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
        and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

I had fisheye on my car that was as bad or worse and had to use 600 grit as the first course. 1000 just would not eliminate the fisheye. I did not use a block and I used lots of water (with a little dish washing soap) and had really good results and only burnt through a couple tiny spots near an edge.

Comment

A soft sanding block is better because it not only covers a larger area, but it sands it evenly w/o leaving grooves that your fingers develop. 1,000 just won't cut through that much orange peel. You want it to cut quickly and evenly. The 1,000 will only remove the 800 scratches and so on. It's a step by step process of removing the previous sand scratches left by the coarser grades until you hit it with a coarse rubbing compound with a wool pad followed by a medium compound and a yellow foam pad and finally a black foam pad with a swirl remover. So many people skip steps and wonder why there are still scratches showing. Follow the steps and it works fine.
            Last edited by nvr2old; 10-16-2013, 01:05 PM.
            1979 GS1000S,

1982 Honda CX500 Turbo, 1982 Honda MB5 w/CR80 motor, 1977 Honda "nekid" Goldwing, 1976 Honda CB550F cafe', 1972 Honda XL250 cafe'

Comment

I'm not sure what your plans are for the future, but if you're likely to continue spraying I'd invest in an Astro gun. Very high quality for about 100 bucks. I've been told and read numerous times that they compare to SATA.
              http://www.amazon.com/Astro-Pneumati...pneumatic+hvlp
              ^That's the gun I use, I love it!

I find that I get orange peel on my projects when
              1) SCFM is too low, you can push 80 psi and only 2CFM, that would definitely affect your paint job
              2) Incorrectly thinned or catalyzed paint
              3) Too close / too far from object
              4) Humidity / temperature range exceeds stated norms for painting

Also, get to know your gun well - play with the knobs and dials, figure out which settings work best and give you the best coverage. Sometimes a bizarre texture is all in the settings on your gun.

I wish you luck, orange peel can be a pain in the arse to sand down... Especially when using high grit over a large surface area!

Comment

Working...
              X