Aircraft remover and engine gaskets

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Aircraft remover and engine gaskets

This is a 4,000 mile engine and is only leaking a tiny bit of oil (looks like from around the shifter area). I would rather not remove anything that will need a new gasket since this engine is pretty tight as it sits. Don't want to spend the money on gaskets and if it isn't leaking now I would rather leave everything the way it is.

The problem is that the cases are ugly ugly ugly from the yellowing and chipping factory clearcoat. I want to at least get the clear off and possibly start sanding and polishing these things. I don't mind some patina but these things are downright disgusting.

Any problem with using aircraft remover to strip old clearcoat while the covers are still on the engine?

Not much point in trying to save the gaskets that are on there if the paint remover is going to destroy them.

You really shouldn't be too concerned about losing the "oil tightness" of your engine if you remove the covers for stripping and polishing. You'll make your work a lot easier in the long run and be able to attain your goals in a far more efficient manner if you do so. As long as you clean the gasket/engine surfaces properly and apply a smear of good quality sealant to the gaskets you won't have any problems.

If on the other hand you are adamant not to remove the covers I can't see why the stripper would be able to penetrate sufficiently between the covers and the engine to cause a potential leak. I've never done it this way so this is just my hunch. Give it a go, ()and if it works, all well and good. If not (), share your experience with the rest of us then go get your self some new gaskets.

Good luck!

Comment

I know it would be a lot easier to take everything apart, I am just trying to save some money and not pull things apart unless I have to.

Realistically we are only talking about $20-$30 for all 3 gaskets even going with suzuki OEM so I guess it isn't that big of a deal.

I guess all we are talking about is gaskets anyway so worst case if the stripper causes problems I wouldn't be out any more than I would have been so maybe I will try it on the bike first and see what happens.

Comment

Working...
      X