Fairing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fairing

Okay guys I'm looking for a fairing for the 81 850L. I like the look of the batwing style but I want a windshield/fairing that will actually serve a purpose. I've never ran a windshield/fairing before so my question is something like this

or

actually throw the wind over me or will it just throw it in my face?

TyFerris

To avoid the slipstream, my experiments have proved to me the common knowledge that the top of the windshield or fairing has to be just below eyelevel.

to plan this,you need a sideview with the dimensions of the fairing you "want" mounted on your own bike, plus, know how tall you are, and what your posture is on your own seat's height.
    A 3/4 view like these, accentuates style over purpose,in my opinion.
    They both appear to protect the hands somewhat on most bikes. But they both look like they'd redirect the bugs onto a tall person's neck ,too.

Comment

Comment

Would something like this suite your needs?

Checkout the full domain details of Eastcoastphotos.com. Click Buy Now to instantly start the transaction or Make an offer to the seller!

Comment

Originally posted by Gorminrider View Post
          To avoid the slipstream, my experiments have proved to me the common knowledge that the top of the windshield or fairing has to be just below eyelevel.

to plan this,you need a sideview with the dimensions of the fairing you "want" mounted on your own bike, plus, know how tall you are, and what your posture is on your own seat's height.
          A 3/4 view like these, accentuates style over purpose,in my opinion.
          They both appear to protect the hands somewhat on most bikes. But they both look like they'd redirect the bugs onto a tall person's neck ,too.
          My experience is the same.

I'm 6'2", but only wear a 32' inseam. What's kindly called 'long-waisted'. So I sit VERY tall in the saddle. I've got the WJ III with a 2" taller-than-stock windshield. That puts the top of it just below my eyes. The stock windshield height created buffeting of my helmet.

Ty - see if you can get someone to measure the distance from your eyes to the ground when you're seated on the bike. Might give you an idea of how tall the windshield needs to be. I see lots of Hardleys around here with that real short windshield. On the highway, you can see the wind beating their T-shirts and bandanas. Seems to be about the same as no windshield at all.

One other point - some riders report that a batwing fairing acts as a sail in gusty cross winds, pushing the handlebars around, because that's where it's mounted. I prefer the frame-mounted fairing. With as heavy as my 850 is, along with my full-figured frame, it's stable even in cross-winds.

Just my 2 cents worth.....

Comment

I used to have the Maier fairing on my current GS and liked it.

I have a Viper fairing that I haven't put on to replace the old, cracked Maier.
            I don't if I will use it or not, though. http://www.ebay.com/bhp/viper-fairing

pic of Maier

1979 GS1000

Comment

Here is a recent thread on the subject.

Put any information that you have to make your bike look great in here.

Comment

I prefer to have my helmet up in the smooth airflow, above any buffeting caused by the fairing. Much much quieter, and my head isn't getting knocked around by the air.

When it's really cold out, I would raise it up or put on the taller screen.

That's just me though, I prefer naked bikes most of the time anyway.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

I'm just the opposite tkent, the older I got the more I hated the full wind on me and having to wear a full face helmet. I went on a weekend ride with some guys in August and I gave a friend of mine a Harley-looking windscreen. I'm not sure how else to describe it but I hope you know what I mean. Now he wouldn't ride without it. He said that he didn't need the thing. We hit some rain and he tucked under the protection and kept giving me the thumbs up. On the other hand my son used his on the ride and took it off when we got home.

Comment

For a bit less money than the two that you posted, you can get a Plexifairing 3, which is similar to the one that Seaking posted. The difference between the 2 and the 3 is that the 3 has longer lower legs.

You can see how the Plexifairing 3 looks on an '82 850L by clicking on the link in my sig for my wife's bike.

You could paint the lower part of the fairing to get your "batwing" look.

sigpic
                    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                    Family Portrait
                    Siblings and Spouses
                    Mom's first ride
                    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

My Plexifairing2 is up for sale.. mounting hardware ect.. don't know what shipping would be for such an item..

If anyone were interested in buying it..

Cheers

Comment

Question... I have a 79' 850g with a Vetter windjammer IV. it handles like poo on the interstate. Wind and vehicle turbulence blow the bike around quite a bit. I don't remember this from my first 79' 850 back in 79 - 85. It also had a Windjammer IV. The original rear shocks are a bit weak, but I don't think this accounts for it. Tires are the Avon Roadriders. New tree/neck bearing. New sonic springs in the forks. The fairing mounting bracket is off the Kutter fairing which came with the bike. The angle of the fairing seems right.

I read where others have no issues and wonder what mite make a difference.

Comment

Originally posted by twotimeGSr View Post
                          Question... I have a 79' 850g with a Vetter windjammer IV. it handles like poo on the interstate. ... The angle of the fairing seems right.

I read where others have no issues and wonder what mite make a difference.
                          Can you post a picture of the bike from the side? Although the angle might look right to you, it might be off a little bit. Small changes make a big difference.

sigpic
                          mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                          hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                          #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                          #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                          Family Portrait
                          Siblings and Spouses
                          Mom's first ride
                          Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                          (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by Seaking View Post
                            My Plexifairing2 is up for sale..
                            Cheers
                            I do think the Plexis are reasonably priced and pretty unobtrusive.
                            I had one on a Honda 500, some time back.

On a ZL900, I installed a Memphis Shades (so-called "Hellcat"?) that looked good and deflected properly without vibrating, etc.
                            They are "universal", as well.

I decided that the ZL looked better without one, so I sold it.

1979 GS1000

Comment

Working...
                            X