Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Replace the "Suzuki" tank emblems?! Traitor!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Replace the "Suzuki" tank emblems?! Traitor!

Ok. So call me a traitor, but the tank to my '82 GS 650 is at the autobody shop getting re-painted Marlon Brando Black and I'm thinking that I don't want to slap "Suzuki" emblem back on the side. It's not that I want to pretend it's a Harley--c'mon now--it's just that I think something else could look cooler.

I thought about a decal, but as you probably know, under the Suz tank emblem is a ridge, depression, and small popsicle stick-thing welded to the tank. In otherwords, it ain't smoothe under the old emblem and this would show through any decal.

I could: a) slap a decal over it anyway and live with the less than perfect result b) find a metal decorative piece that would screw into the tank using the same holes (got any suggestions as to where to find such a creature?) or c) suck it up and fly the Suzuki flag proudly.

What do you'all think?

Have a good weekend.

Taylor

Maybe if you have enough material to work with, you could sand the emblem down smooth (or bondo it smooth?), paint, and then decal over it. Add clearcoat... who knows, maybe that could work.

Comment

Me personally? I cannot think of a cooler badge to put on my ride than a Suzuki emblem. Then again. I have always been a Suzuki man. From dirt to street.

You could always have the emblem mount on the tank bondo'd shut and sanded smooth. Then decal anything you want on it.

Just my two cents man. You gotta do to your ride what makes it "your" ride. And that means doing to it what "you" like. I don't even really care for custom paint to much. Only in certain circumstances. For the most part I like to always repaint with the original scheme. Just a whole nostalgia thing I got going I guess :roll: dunno.

Good luck man.

Comment

No emblem for me.

I own on my own!

Dm of mD

Comment

Originally posted by Detman101
          No emblem for me.
          What about that side panel then? .......

Comment

Nice guys. Thanks for your thoughts. I like the photo of the no emblem bad a** machine. It's pretty tough.

I'll probably end up throwing the suz emblem back on.

I'll post a pic when it's complete.

All thoughts appreciated.

Be well,

T

Comment

how about creating your own style suzi emblem to go with the flavor of your ride

Comment

i filled mine in.it turned out real nice. bought a flame print to put on side of tank and clearcoated . it really looks good. i'll put up pics soon!!but i did decide to leave emblems off the tank and side covers just because of the paint scheme. the engine covers have NEW suzuki emblems tho.its is'nt anything to do with tryin to look like some other brand. it just looks clean with the paint scheme

Comment

I was thinking of some graphics off an old Suzuki dirt bike of the same vintage to be a little different..

Comment

Originally posted by 80gs1000e
                    Originally posted by Detman101
                    No emblem for me.
                    What about that side panel then? .......
                    Oh.....erm...uh....yeah...I...uh...forgot about those...hehe.

Dm of mD

Comment

I went with a simple black S from a late 80's Katana when I repainted my 83 GS750ED. I had it oversprayed with clear and it has held up nice. The tank was bare for a while-it needed something. As they say, beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Good Luck, Ed
                      Store photos and docs online. Access them from any PC, Mac or phone. Create and work together on Word, Excel or PowerPoint documents.

Comment

Originally posted by oldschoolGS
                        I went with a simple black S from a late 80's Katana when I repainted my 83 GS750ED. I had it oversprayed with clear and it has held up nice. The tank was bare for a while-it needed something. As they say, beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Good Luck, Ed
                        http://groups.msn.com/SuzukiGSGarage...o&PhotoID=3191
                        Very nice. 8)

Comment

blaze away!!

im doing up a 85 gsx750 sf katana as a special and am changing all my suzuki,katana,750 etc decals to read vampi,after my lust for harris comics vampirella the artwork promises to be amazing.

so dont get hung up on being all true blue bout suzuki when your treating your pride and joy to some new paint unless your seriously bringing it back to bog stock original

enjoy
                          grant truman,melbourne australia

Comment

Yeah, go with what you want and suits your mount. I had my badges off and some flames for a while, and lots of people came up and asked me what type of bike. (From Triumph/norton/HD???) That was kinda fun. Now it has the proper emblems, but I am going to do the tank white/black when I can reach into my wifes purse and aquire the funds!

Have fun...

Comment

Originally posted by crayonjota
                              Yeah, go with what you want and suits your mount. I had my badges off and some flames for a while, and lots of people came up and asked me what type of bike. (From Triumph/norton/HD???) That was kinda fun. Now it has the proper emblems, but I am going to do the tank white/black when I can reach into my wifes purse and aquire the funds!

Have fun...

is it really the money you are looking for in there ? Mark

Comment

Working...
                              X