touching up paint chips

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

touching up paint chips

My tank has some chips that are down to bare metal. I'd like to touch them up but am not sure how to remove the rust. All I know to do is start sanding but then I'll be repainting a big bare spot not filling in a small chip. So what's a good way to get the rust out? And should I apply some primer before the paint?

Debby
    1979 GS1000N
    2019 Kaw Z900RS
    plus a few more

To get the rust, maybe a small tipped dremel tool? Or a really small piece of sandpaper and be really careful, I think the chip is going to be a bit bigger no matter how you get the rust out, and I would say primer it as well. I'm not an expert though.

Comment

So what's a good way to get the rust out? And should I apply some primer before the paint?
      You can get a tool for rubbing out the rust from auto supply stores. It is basically a fiberglass wick pen that you dig around with and it removes most of the rust. Not perfect, but better than it is now.

Primer depends on the touch up paint you use. What do the directions say?

Mark

Comment

I'll have to look for those fiberglass sticks. Sounds like that should work nicely.

I haven't bought any touch up paint yet. I have some spray paint, was thinking of spraying some out onto a piece of paper and dabbing it into the chips.

Debby
        1979 GS1000N
        2019 Kaw Z900RS
        plus a few more

Comment

You can get touch up paint that comes in bottles with a brush similar to nail polish brushes. If you are just doing the chips pick a color as close as you can get to your paint and keep the touch ups small.

Comment

Is it possible to get paint that matches the stock GS400 Paint. I have the bright red paint.

Comment

Some spray paints claim you don't need to remove the rust.
              Another way to apply paint to a small chip area is with a toothpick, preferably a sharp tipped one. You dip the tip of the toothpick into the paint and collect a small drop on the end. When you barely touch the chip area, the drop will "jump" onto the chip area. The toothpick allows you to spread the paint with better control than a brush. With some practice you can get just the right amount of paint onto the tip to fill in the chip area in one try.
              And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
              Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

Comment

I have had really good luck finding paint to match most of my bikes with the Plastikote brand touch up bottles. It helps if the guys at the auto parts store know you well, because the best way to match it is outside in good sunlight. I have found that the brushes can be a bit large for smaller chips, but an old auto body guy taught me a trick. Get a book of matches and tear one off and use the torn end as a touch up brush.

Also, don't rush your touch up. The paint will hardly ever cover in one coat, and you don't want to glob it on. use thin coats and wait 10 to 15 minutes in between and build up the thickness that way. If you can't find a touch up paint that matches to your liking, go to an auto paint supplier. Usually they can mix a few onces for you and there is much more variety in there chip books than you can usually find in regular touch up paint displays.

Comment

Working...
                X