Engine Detailing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Engine Detailing

Anybody got any tricks on making the engine on these things shine? Especially the cooling fins for the head, can never get those things polished! The bike is pretty oxidation and covered in gunk! I used power purple to get most of the dirt off, but still is really dull. All tips appreciated, also, while I have the engine pulled out of the bike, what maintenance would you guys recommend? Gaskets to replace? Hoses?

Thanks!

IncompleteOn your first question I think that you will find that most people will clean their motor real well (there will be several ways to do that) and then paint it. There are several good high heat spray paints that you can use once it is real clean. Prepped well and you should be happy with the results. Black, aluminum like it was born with, or you can go Caterpillar and go yellow.
    Lots of folks polish the covers to one degree or another. Lots of work, but, again, satisfying stuff. There are many threads on the best way to do that. There are good instructions on painting anything on the site as well.

As to maintenance, you will want to visit BassCliff's website if you have not already had your mega welcome and been there. Keep us posted, with pics. Here is his website http://members.dslextreme.com/users/bikecliff/

Use the UserCP to post what your bike is.
    Last edited by Guest; 12-13-2013, 07:27 PM. Reason: Incomplete

Comment

Rifle brushes chucked in a drill work well to clean in between the fins.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

They are also covered in hard azz engine enamel and wont "shine up" unless everything is down to bare aluminum. I am , of course, assuming by shine you mean chromish looking.
        MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
        1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

You have to strip the paint off them first then comes the patience part. You have to ether buy all the buffing and polishing bits for a dremel type tool or polish buy hand using various grits of wet dry sand paper and buffing compounds.

If you want a mirror shine you should find yourself a very comfortable seat that you don't mind getting dirty and prepare for a lot of polishing time spent in it.

Or you could send it out to a professional and pay to have it done.

Did this cover by hand using 220/320/400/800/1000/2000 grit wet dry sand paper and jewelers rouge....

I'd guess approx 6 hours for me to do this.... once I get better at it and start buying more power polishing tools it will cut down on the time.... For now I am having fun and learning different products to use as I go.

As far as the cylinder head goes. I opted to clean it up and paint it. I don't have the tools or the time to polish every fin individually....
          Last edited by Guest; 12-13-2013, 08:37 PM.

Comment

Especially the time...good god. That would take a month.
            MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
            1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Polish by hand,no thank you.OK it's a few $$ but I've done it by hand,once.

Heck a 6"grinder will do a good job to but the one above has more power.

Comment

That Purple Power stuff is uber strong, but corrosive. In my experience it does more harm than good unless you heavily dilute it. Be careful!
                Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Soda blasting parts that have a texture, like cylinder fins, is the ticket. It's very important to completely remove anything oily before attempting it. I've done a couple of Z1 motors, a few KZ650s, and a couple of GSs. On all of them, I found spots here and there that weren't touched by the soda because of oil.

As far as the shiny stuff goes, starting the polishing process with too coarse of whatever type of abrasive used, and not needed, will add a tremendous amount of time to the task. Judging the condition of the aluminum and matching what's started out with is very important.

Comment

Cheap Kero is also bad what with the sulphur content.
                    I have had great luck using stell wool soap pads.

It is very time consuming but it works. Slide one intor the groove and work it. You can use a Popsicle stick to force it home.

Comment

Thanks guys! I do have a polisher and use majority of the time of my time on it, or in the blaster. GhostGS40X, those things look nice, What type of jewelers rogue did you use? I originally was going to powder coat the entire engine Black, and polish the edges of the fins. In order to do that i'd have to empty the entire engine out though, I think it might be worth it. (any opinions on this process?)
                      Was black the original color of the bike? When I picked mine up the Stator cover and shifter cover were painted black.

I just got done doing one cover, heres how it looks now (Bad quality). I need to get it some more shine! More sanding, then the buffer.

Comment

Some more pics:

And of course, some newly powder coated parts:

Comment

My tip..send it out to a pro...It's not that expensive. I guess it depends on what you figure you time is worth.

Last edited by trevor; 12-14-2013, 01:53 AM.
                          No signature

Comment

Very Nice! Show bike stuff!
                            However, there's a school of thought out here that likes the duller shine...after the grades of soapy wet and dry sandpaper (I just go 220/400/800/1000) , just go straight to autosol or turtlewax chrome polish.

This is an old picture-
                            I regret going past this stage to a buffer, myself.

Comment

For obvious reasons, a super shiny finish isn't as desirable as one as close to OE as possible when a bike is being shown and the judging is done by folks that know what they're doing. The out-of-the-crate look isn't as easy to get.

At a recent show, a CBX in stock trim had its cam cover polished to a near chrome finish. Nice, but the overall look of the bike was thrown off.

Comment

Working...
                              X