Paint code location

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Paint code location

While poking around here on the forum, I got to thinking. What color was my bike supposed to be? search didn't provide any help.

Bikecliff believed that a gray color wasn't an option, so now I need to figure out what its supposed to be. I know its been painted once, because the side cover that I have has been "shaved" with the resulting holes filled (poorly) with body putty.

I'm thinking possibly a shade of black?

Alpha sports has the color codes on their fiche. Look at the frame cover section, take the last couple of digits in the part number and compare it to the chart listed under color chart
    Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
    1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
    2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
    Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
    and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Originally posted by cowboyup3371 View Post
      Alpha sports has the color codes on their fiche. Look at the frame cover section, take the last couple of digits in the part number and compare it to the chart listed under color chart

Sorry to be so thick over here, but i'm a tad confused. Side cover and frame cover are the same thing? If so is the # molded in or on a label. My sidecover has been repainted and there aren't any labels on it.
      Last edited by four_shot; 12-21-2013, 10:59 PM.

Comment

Yes; looking at the fiche it looks like your options were candy imperial maroon, pearl black, and marble Ontario blue

Edit: I'm on my phone so I can't copy the site information over for you very well. Just follow the steps I suggested and you'll find it

One more edit - the same color codes are listed under the fuel tank section of the fiche
        Last edited by cowboyup3371; 12-21-2013, 11:20 PM.

1981 GS550T - My First

Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die

Comment

Thanks, I'll get to the garage tomorrow and chase this stuff down after the heater spools up.

Comment

I don't know if the codes are going to be listed on the covers themselves but that information gives you a place to start for planning on your job. Remember the actual old codes are usable by paint dealers so you'll only be able to get close

1981 GS550T - My First

Comment

Working...
            X