Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

1983 GS550E crash gaurds (or case savers)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1983 GS550E crash gaurds (or case savers)

Hi All,

So I'll be taking my '83 GS550E down the Trans Labrador Highway this summer, and I would like to put some crash bars on it beforehand.

I've been looking on Ebay and there are a plethora of different versions of crash bars, and I'm not too sure which ones actually would fit.

Ones that are said to be for a 550E look like ones that I've seen mounted on 550L models and vice-versa.

My question is, could anybody verify which of these would be a fit for a 1983 GS550E (not 550L version)?

These first ones look like a good match (judging by the way the bars are similar to the square tubing silver/grey frame on my bike).

Thanks a bunch in advance!

- Brock

Yes they fit! (First link) Just remember they reduce achievable lean angle. You can see them mounted in pic.

I know this first hand as I used them on my '83 550ES roadrace bike and levered the rear tire off the ground and lowsided in T4 at Blackhawk Farms a few years back.

Good luck.
    Mark
    Last edited by Guest; 12-31-2013, 10:18 PM.

Comment

Ahhh thank you so much, Mark!

Did they do their job on the crash?

They *seem* kind of flimsy, but of course that is most likely the picture deceiving my eyes.

And I'm not too worried about lean angle on this bike, that's what my FZ6 is for

I'm making a semi-scrambler out of this one for the gravel highway...

Putting a Kenda K761 100/90-16 tire on the front and a TKC 80 110/80-18 on the rear.

Also going to fab up an aluminum diamond plate rock guard for the headers/underside.

Should be interesting!

- Brock
      Last edited by Guest; 01-01-2014, 03:15 AM.

Comment

Brock

They were pretty stout and def took the hit well.

Good luck
        M

Comment

Working...
        X