No announcement yet.

dent puller

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Never use air pressure on your fuel tank. Especially on an old bike.
    It is a very good way to blow out seams and make a leaker of it.
    And like HiSPL said, it can spread your mounting areas. Bad idea.

My auto mechanic says those dent puller gizmo's all work at varying
    degrees but he did say that the ones that use the hot melt glue sticks
    will oft times remove paint if it isn't on there really good. He uses a suction
    cup model with good success on these types of dents.

Comment

Originally posted by spots25
      I got a ding king a few months ago for like $5 (I figured why not) and I just tested it finally on a dent in my tank, and it pulled the dent out about 95%... it all depends on the dent though
      Where did you get it for $5. One of my students told me CVS and Wallgreens will have them for $9.99 occasionaly

Comment

Am I the only one that knows the dry ice trick?

heat up the dent with something. A heat gun works well. then plop a big chunk of dry ice on it, and hold it a bit.

Repeat, if necessary.

POP! no dent.

Comment

Originally posted by Dark Jedi

heat up the dent with something. A heat gun works well. then plop a big chunk of dry ice on it, and hold it a bit.

Repeat, if necessary.

POP! no dent.
          If only dry ice were a little more available. Personally I've only ever worked with it at one place, and it is down the street from where I'm working now. If I knew they hadn't changed stuff around I could just about walk in and get some. However, I'm not that way.

Oh, well.

Amos

Comment

Originally posted by TheBigRed
            Originally posted by Dark Jedi

Repeat, if necessary.

POP! no dent.
            If only dry ice were a little more available. Personally I've only ever worked with it at one place, and it is down the street from where I'm working now. If I knew they hadn't changed stuff around I could just about walk in and get some. However, I'm not that way.

Oh, well.

Amos
            Just slip it into your pocket Amos and walk out

You can always put it back when you done with it then

Comment

Originally posted by Evil Hobbit
              Originally posted by spots25
              I got a ding king a few months ago for like $5 (I figured why not) and I just tested it finally on a dent in my tank, and it pulled the dent out about 95%... it all depends on the dent though
              Where did you get it for $5. One of my students told me CVS and Wallgreens will have them for $9.99 occasionaly
              clearance at walmart

Comment

Originally posted by Hoomgar

Just slip it into your pocket Amos and walk out

You can always put it back when you done with it then
                8O 8O 8O 8O 8O

Nah, when I was working there we "played" around with it enough to know it ain't going in any pocket. I think one guy dropped a piece into the one bucket that collected drain water, man it smoked forever. I think another guy tried to drop a piece in a 2 liter soda bottle (thank goodness he didn't try to close it afterwards)

Had the opportunity a couple of times to cut it so we could package ice cream orders. Cold stuff. Shortly after I started the one guy was cutting it with the band saw, and another guy was joking around close to him, he lost part of his finger to the saw. 8O 8O 8O

No thanks, I'll try a dent puller first.. or just paint it and forget about it.

Amos

Comment

ding king leaaves a bad impression

Ding King didn't do much for my dent, but did an excellent job removing a circular patch of paint from my gas tank. If you have 20yr. old paint on your bike, DO NOT USE IT! (unless you are planning a repaint anyway-in which case, you might as well use an old fashioned dent-puller which will work on almost all dents, not just small ones.)

Comment

I think the dent king stuff works because its being used on THIN metal, gas tanks appear to be thicker metal than most current car bodies.....correct me if im wrong, its just a somewhat educated guess.....

Comment

Working...
                    X