GS850G Seat modification

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS850G Seat modification

I decided tonight I'm not a really big fan of the stepped seat on my 1980 GS850G. I was thinking of taking an electric carving knife to the stepped portion of the foam. Has anyone done this on their bike? any pics?
    1978 Suzuki GS750

Past bikes owned:
    1978 Suzuki GS750E, 1979 Suzuki GS750E, 1980 Suzuki GS850, 1977 Suzuki GS550, 1969 Honda CB350, 1976 Harley Davidson SS175, 1979 Motobecane 50V, 1978 Puch Maxi, 1977 Puch Newport, 1980 Tomos Bullet, 1978 Motobecane 50VLA, 1978 AMF Roadmaster

If you have a stepped seat, you probably don't have an 850G, you have an 850GL.

Other tip-offs:
    leading-axle front fork
    chrome front fender
    6" headlight in a chrome bucket
    individual gauges, rather than a large, rubberized cluster
    taller, pull-back handlebars
    smaller, tear drop-shaped fuel tank
    stepped seat
    shorter mufflers that end squarely (not tapered)
    chrome rear fender with tail light mounted on it

A picture of your bike will do very nicely here.

But, to answer your question, yes, many GL seats have been modified, with varying results.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Heres a pic of my bike.

1978 Suzuki GS750

Past bikes owned:
      1978 Suzuki GS750E, 1979 Suzuki GS750E, 1980 Suzuki GS850, 1977 Suzuki GS550, 1969 Honda CB350, 1976 Harley Davidson SS175, 1979 Motobecane 50V, 1978 Puch Maxi, 1977 Puch Newport, 1980 Tomos Bullet, 1978 Motobecane 50VLA, 1978 AMF Roadmaster

Comment

OK, you do NOT have an L, and that seat is virtually flat, not stepped.

However, if you feel you need to customize it, go for it. Your electric carving knife is the perfect tool for the job.

By the way, that seat (which is the same as the one on the 1000G) was voted "most comfortable stock seat" by many of the magazines back in the day.

When you said "stepped seat", this is what I thought you were talking about:

sigpic
        mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
        hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
        #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
        #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
        Family Portrait
        Siblings and Spouses
        Mom's first ride
        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
        (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

People who don't own suzuki's joke about my 1000G seat but I can attest to the fact that it is comfortable.

It is pretty huge though...

Comment

How much flatter do you need it and why?

Comment

im looking to lower the profile of my 550ez seat, so any info or pics of what peeps have done in the past would be helpful
              Last edited by Guest; 03-29-2014, 07:37 PM. Reason: spelling

Comment

That one appears to have already seen the carving knife. I cut down an RD350 seat for my wife, and the electric knife I used didn't work as well as I had hoped.
                sigpic Too old, too many bikes, too many cars, too many things

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                  If you have a stepped seat, you probably don't have an 850G, you have an 850GL.

But, to answer your question, yes, many GL seats have been modified, with varying results.

Steve, when saying 'with varying results'...by any chance, can you point me into the direction of a good result ?

I'm in the process of considering the same modification, but I would like to see some results before wasting a comfortable saddle...

Comment

Go easy on it. When you cut it lower, it becomes wider, gets very uncomfortable quickly.
                    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

I sliced this stepped seat down to equal foam thickness along the whole length and made my first DIY seat cover just to try. I liked it to ride, though it's not super pretty yet.

I will do a better job when I find a bike to use that seat. I will maybe build it up another 1/2" on it's length and be more careful to square the back a bit...plus, now that I know how, I'll do the "texture padding" on its top too.
                      The slight swoop is built into this pan- it's never going to look like a cb350's seat...? Anyone hoping to just mod the original seat need take this into account. An " L"'s pan might do better with getting rid of the rear pillion altogether but I'm just speculating...

But the bike (GSX400T) has Collector plates and needs the original seat. It's not exactly uncomfortable but I don't like feeling the bump ridge. (I wish I had a better side-on picture handy as comparison)
                      Last edited by Gorminrider; 04-03-2014, 01:01 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X