No announcement yet.

Need 82 GS1100EZ stock color scheme info

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My engine actually is black on all the side covers, probably an aftermarket paint job. And my forks are black also. Don't know when that happened.

Michael

Comment

Originally posted by crag antler
      The quickest way to tell between a 82 and 83 is the engine color. 82's came with a polished aluminum motor and the 83 was black.
      Only if someone painted the motor would this be different.
      I think maybe the fork legs were polished on the 82.

Besides the internal differences.
      Which are
      Kevin
      E-Bay: gsmcyclenut
      "Communism doesn't work because people like to own stuff." Frank Zappa

1978 GS750(x2 "projects"), 1983 GS1100ED (slowly becoming a parts bike), 1982 GS1100EZ,
      Now joined the 21st century, 2013 Yamaha XTZ1200 Super Tenere.

Comment

Originally posted by mcycle-nut
        Originally posted by crag antler
        The quickest way to tell between a 82 and 83 is the engine color. 82's came with a polished aluminum motor and the 83 was black.
        Only if someone painted the motor would this be different.
        I think maybe the fork legs were polished on the 82.

Besides the internal differences.
        Which are

Airbox design is different on the '83....I think the clutch too is different in the # of plates/thickness of the plates.....the fork legs on my '82 are black, not polished.

Tony.
        '82 GS1100E

Originally posted by themess
        Only in your own mind did you refute what I wrote.

Comment

Originally posted by Dark Jedi
          Whine...

Gods I miss my 1100EZ. Somebody kick me for selling it, please? i was young and stupid.....
          OK consider yourself Kicked :twisted: :P [-X

Comment

What is the buikd date of your "82" if it 7/82 or after it is actually an 83 model , which would explain why it has a black motor and fork legs.
            Dink

Comment

Originally posted by Dink
              What is the buikd date of your "82" if it 7/82 or after it is actually an 83 model , which would explain why it has a black motor and fork legs.
              Dink
              Date 12/81: Model year 82.

7 months younger than me.

The motor itself is not black. Just the breaker cover, clutch cover, stator cover and the other cover that hides something I don't know. The whole body is blue, so I'm not surprised that it's a bit quirky on the other paint too.

Michael

Comment

Be careful they may have been painted to hide crash damage.
                Dink

Comment

Originally posted by Dink
                  Be careful they may have been painted to hide crash damage.
                  Dink
                  No doubt it's been laid down a couple times. But it runs today, and that's what matters.

There is what looks like a pile of aluminum from a MIG welder on the left of the crank case. I assume the road nearly rubbed through on the crank cover and they piled some material on it to make it a bit tougher than if it were still thin. Whatever. When I go cosmetic on the bike I'll double-check it from the back side then file down the weld to match the case. Nobody will ever notice from the outside. Being a metal sculptor pays off in the bike restoration.

Just for fun: In the last 24 hours I've accidentally wheelied and burned out for the first times. Both were very small. I'll bet I've been lifting the front wheel up previously, but it happened at a corner, and the wheel skipped out an inch or two so I knew it happened. I'm glad it wasn't any sharper a corner and that I wasn't going faster or I might have had a problem. As for the burnout, I was curious about my 0-60 time so I used the stopwatch feature on my new BC 1200 and gave it an I-mean-business start from a highway stoplight. Let out a little squeak but I think my time was about 4 seconds. It was amusing -and that's all I was looking for.

Michael

Comment

Working...
                  X