Preemptive seat repair?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Preemptive seat repair?

Hi guys, I'm gonna start riding the 1100 soon and I can see that her seat is getting ready to split in a few spots. There isn't any cosmetic damage yet but I can see long lines in the seat where the backing has split. I want to pull the cover off and reinforce it some way. Any ideas?

Thanks in advance, Steve

new material

Comment

Not much you can do Steve except enjoy it while it lasts.
      Like Don said, new material. Run it until it splits and then
      recover it.

Comment

Not much you can do Steve except enjoy it while it lasts.
        Like Don said, new material. Run it until it splits and then
        recover it.
        Yep, not much you can do to fix the old material - recover. Just remember when it splits and if it rains - you are going to be unconfortable! I'd get the material before that.

Comment

DUCT TAPE.......2 or 3 strips underneath should be as strong or stronger than the original backing.

Sometimes a hair dryer can help it to stick to non adhereing surfaces.

Oh....one more thing. Don't buy or use the cheap crap. The really good stuff can be found at commercial heating and cooling suppy houses.

Comment

Never fear Steve! I found a product that WILL actually work ... used it already on my already torn seat and it REALLY impressed me! It's called Power Poxy Tear Repair. This company makes several silicone repair products that work very well and this stuff is pretty amazing!

It is designed to repair tears in a way that almost makes the tear disappear. You butt the joint together (and hold it with tape if need be) and then use thin coats of this stuff to bond the two pieces together. Obviously you're ahead of the game because your seat hasn't torn yet, but the stuff is really strong and they claim it chemically bonds to the ripped material rather than just sticking to it like conventional glue or silicone. Using it on the backing ought to make an even stronger bond.

Sheesh, it sure sounds like I'm selling the stuff but I'm very very impressed with it. By the way, it's clear, so it takes the color of whatever you put it on and seems to "hide" very well once it's cured. They recommend you put it on in several thin coats. I bought it at a local Menards (like a Home Depot in case you don't have them by you) but I'd be surprised if you couldn't find it pretty easily in your area.

One thing ... you have to work quickly with it because it sets VERY fast -- in fact they warn you to immediately close the tube so that it doesn't start setting inside the container.

Good Luck!
            Steve 8)

Comment

By the way, Steve, if you haven't already removed the cover you may want to use the tear repair on the weak crack-lines first in order to eliminate the possibility that they will tear as you're trying to remove the cover.

I was going to recommend that you treat both sides anyway, even if the repair might be a little visible, both because you'll get additional strength and because it will doubly help to prevent the saturation issues if it rains that Swanny warned you about.

Let me know how it goes...

Steve 8)

Comment

Working...
              X