Rusty fender interiors

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rusty fender interiors

The chrome on the outside of the fenders is not bad for a 30+ bike. the wheel side is pretty rusty.

Wondering if cleaning and painting them would make sense.

Or if anyone else has dealt with this problem and what they did?
    1980 GS550L

Submerge the fender in vinegar over night and that will eat all the rust. Then scrub it with some steel wool. rinse and dry. Now tape off all the good chrome with green or blue painters tape...cover every bit of chrome.

Next ..shoot the under side with spray on truck bed liner. Never worry about it ever again.
    MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
    1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

I just use rust restorer. Works fine.

Comment

Originally posted by chuck hahn View Post
        Submerge the fender in vinegar over night and that will eat all the rust. Then scrub it with some steel wool. rinse and dry. Now tape off all the good chrome with green or blue painters tape...cover every bit of chrome.

Next ..shoot the under side with spray on truck bed liner. Never worry about it ever again.
        I would be in agreement until the truck bed part. POR-15, or something similar.
        http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

I love all my truck bed lined fenders. Never chip and never rust. Doesnt have to be real thick either. Just a good coating does the trick.
          1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Evapo-rust is amazing stuff! Not cheap but works so well and you can strain it and use it lots of times. terrylee

Comment

Not interested in causing a spat just discussion.

What are the reasons you prefer or would not use a particular product?

Have heard of using vinegar for rust . Does it matter which type?

I thought Por 15 was a coating for gas tank. Would it stay on the fender?
              1980 GS550L

Comment

I use the 8% "cleaning" white vinegar. And POR 15 will stay on the fender but youll need to keep brushing or otherwise spreading it out till its hard. Otherwise it will settle to the lowest point and be a big thick glob.

Spray on bed liner doesnt run unless you go super thick real quick. Give it a good coating and let it be is what I do.

Reasons I like it..

Readily available
                Doesnt run
                Looks good on there
                Hardest thing I know of thats stone and chip rersistant
                Costs less than a POR 15 kit

Comment

Rust-o-leum makes a rubberized spray on undercoating. Supposed to deaden noise and completely waterproof. I used it on the underside of my fenders, seems to work great thus far.

Comment

Originally posted by goggles View Post
                    Not interested in causing a spat just discussion.

What are the reasons you prefer or would not use a particular product?

Have heard of using vinegar for rust . Does it matter which type?

I thought Por 15 was a coating for gas tank. Would it stay on the fender?
                    This isn't a spat, its a diuscussion. You want a spat, go check out the off topic forum.

Vinegar is a couple bucks.. Evaporust is a whole lot more. Vinegar works, as does electrolysis, my personal favorite.

POR-15 is a paint company, they make a gas tank product, but a lot of other paints too. The POR stands for Paint Over Rust, and you can. Very very tough paint.

My thinking is that the bed liner wouldn't stay on all that well with rocks and such getting between the tire and the fender. Also I wonder if moisture would get under it. Chuck says it does OK….. But you never know about Chuck.
                    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Been on some of my fenders for at least 5 years and nothing adverse has happened yet..just sayin.

Comment

Originally posted by fyarl666 View Post
                        Rust-o-leum makes a rubberized spray on undercoating. Supposed to deaden noise and completely waterproof. I used it on the underside of my fenders, seems to work great thus far.

That would have been my recommendation, as I have done the same thing.

It goes on easily, is inexpensive and is resilient.
                        Bertrand Russell: 'Men are born ignorant, not stupid. They are made stupid by education.'

Comment

Appreciate all the input.

Thanks!
                          1980 GS550L

Comment

Heres one after the vinegar soak and the bed liner applied....

Comment

Looks good. Thanks for the pictures!
                              1980 GS550L

Comment

Working...
                              X