Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well, a step towards a Suzubeemer...

...or a Beemsuz, not sure which.
    Years ago, before I owned either of my GSs, I ran an R80RT (later 100) for a couple of years and that BMW fairing was the bees' knees. I barely needed to wear waterproofs in downpours, as long as could keep forward momentum going, the only water that reached me was some idle spray droplets. In snow, the same applied, and the bloody great jugs out at the front of my feet really played a part too. Fast forward a couple of years and I fitted a BMW-inspired fairing to my older GS. It was ok, but it was like the makers took the design cues from the RT, scribbled them on a bit of toilet paper and flushed it.
    It kept the direct rain off, but it made sure the indirect streams soaked me; it kept the main windblast away, but the cunning design of the fairing lowers meant a knife-edged blast of freezing air was directed at my knees (for which I still pay, to this day) and it was as heavy as lead.
    For years, I've been toying with the notion of fitting an RT fairing to a GS and looking around at prices on ebay, it seems the RT fairing that's in the cheapo sweet spot is the later K series. I've just been offered a top half for virtually zero money, and now I have to find lowers (to be modified), headlight and make various bracketry as necessary to hold the sides in and on. Just scored a main front bracket for peanuts, too.
    I intend to make a start fitting this when I re-assemble the '80 bike after a front end teardown, during which I'll be replacing forks, exhaust studs and head bearings while I'm there, so it would be nice to have all the bits lined up to go on just to complete the job.
    Inner pieces of the fairing - like liners and pockets, etc, can wait until later. I don't need them yet.
    ---- Dave

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

The K100RS fairing was wonderful, one of the best I've ever tried. The K100LT not so much, sort of like a windjammer.
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

The RS fairing is good, no doubt about it, but my seating position for longer distances is pretty much fixed - my shoulders, etc dictate what it will be else I'm writhing with discomfort, and the RT fairing fits me perfectly. I'm on a winner really, as it's exactly what I want and the bits are cheap. The RS has more of a cool factor to it amongst Beemeristi and nobody seems to be seeking out RT bits, thus keeping the prices low.
      ---- Dave

Comment

Front bracket arrived, complete with horns still mounted. The mounting point are four bolts that screw into (I presume) an adapter plate welded to the headstock - easy to make, I had to do that for a previous fairing.
        This thread will now go into hibernation until the front end is rebuilt and the top half of the fairing goes on.
        ---- Dave

Comment

I hated the fairing on my old RT. Too noisy, and had to remove the mufflers remove the fairing lower in order to change the oil filter.

I must be more sensitive to the buffeting noise than some people are.
          sigpic Too old, too many bikes, too many cars, too many things

Comment

Originally posted by 850 Combat View Post

I must be more sensitive to the buffeting noise than some people are.
            No, I got it too.
            Liked the K100 RS fairing much better, no buffeting at all if you set the little wing at the right angle for the speed.
            It also looks cool on a GS.
            http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

The windshield portion on my RT was adjustable, and the highest point nicely deflected air over me with no buffeting - however, that was a previous generation, and I wait to see if there are shortcomings of the K-series RT. I've been told the LT variant screen fits straight on, but I can live without push-button adjustment.
              ---- Dave

Comment

At last, the top portion has arrived, complete with headlamp, indicators and mirrors, which saves a lot of hassle. In the past several months I've obtained both lowers and now only need a screen. If push comes to shove I can make one.
                ---- Dave

Comment

Of course, you KNOW we are just waiting for the pictures.

sigpic
                  mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                  hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                  #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                  #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                  Family Portrait
                  Siblings and Spouses
                  Mom's first ride
                  Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                  (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

What do you have to do to get one of these...

To fit one of these... ?

Answer...
                    You take one of these...

And drill some holes, like so...

Then tap them 8mm, just like the Beemer has from the factory...

To be continued, once my back recovers...
                    ---- Dave

Comment

I have a few ideas on how to make the clutch a half day affair and make the shaft lift the tail if you want a more authentic beemer feel to it.
                      Still working on something to make it flip to the right when you blip the throttle - something along the lines of unbalancer shafts.
                      97 R1100R
                      Previous
                      80 GS850G, 79 Z400B, 85 R100RT, 80 Z650D, 76 CB200

Comment

Originally posted by Brendan W View Post
                        I have a few ideas on how to make the clutch a half day affair and make the shaft lift the tail if you want a more authentic beemer feel to it.
                        Still working on something to make it flip to the right when you blip the throttle - something along the lines of unbalancer shafts.
                        Sometimes, I really miss the quick-collapse rear wheel bearings and the endless fun of wondering just how long the rear splines will last this time.
                        Nah, not really.
                        Did you ever ride up behind an airhead boxer on the motorway and watch, amused, as the rear of the bike waved around like a stoned chimp?
                        ---- Dave

Comment

Originally posted by Grimly View Post
                          Did you ever ride up behind an airhead boxer on the motorway and watch, amused, as the rear of the bike waved around like a stoned chimp?
                          Yeah, but I always though I was the stoned chimp. Live and learn.

I had an 83 R100RT which I liked and it never gave any trouble except an exploding plug cap and the red tank lining disintegrated. Had fuel filters all over the shop.
                          Last edited by Brendan W; 09-30-2015, 03:15 PM.
                          97 R1100R
                          Previous
                          80 GS850G, 79 Z400B, 85 R100RT, 80 Z650D, 76 CB200

Comment

Interesting thread, I had a PlexiFairing that wanted to Lift a Bell full face helmet straight up off my head back in the day. Messed with angles of mounting and it changed that a lot. The windshield adjustment might just be the ticket. It was on a Yamaha cruiser style XJ700X with 20 valve sport bike motor. That alone might have been part of the problem with the fork angle and riding style. Probably why I don't like cruisers today. Hope your back gets better soon, got slammed with rheumatoid arthritis a little while back, couldn't even get on the bike it was so bad for a while. Good luck.
                            Last edited by OldVet66; 10-01-2015, 04:25 PM.
                            http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...ine=1440711157'78 GS1000E, Dyna-S ignition, Dyna Green Coils, K&N pods, Delkevic SS 4-1 exhaust, Dynojet Stage 3 jet kit, Russell SS Brake Lines, Progressive suspension, Compu-Fire series Regulator 55402 and Advmonster cree LED headlight conversion.

Comment

Originally posted by OldVet66 View Post
                              Interesting thread, I had a PlexiFairing that wanted to Lift a Bell full face helmet straight up off my head back in the day. Messed with angles of mounting and it changed that a lot.
                              Yep, I had that before. First full fairing I had, it was weird like that.

The windshield adjustment might just be the ticket. It was on a Yamaha cruiser style XJ700X with 20 valve sport bike motor. That alone might have been part of the problem with the fork angle and riding style.
                              I'm slightly amused to see that the BMW LT electric windshield motor drive parts will fit straight into this and can be got for as little as £50 used. Adjusting windshield angles and height at the touch of a button tempts me.
                              Happily, the rake angle of the K-Beemers and the GS are the same, so I don't expect much clash of Insgesamt Motorrad.
                              Last edited by Grimly; 10-01-2015, 08:40 PM.
                              ---- Dave

Comment

Working...
                              X