Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mirrors

1981 GS650GL

I just installed Daytona bars on my bike (great upgrade!) but the stock mirrors are now too short. I checked the parts fiche and the mirrors from a "G" seem to be longer and more suited to this type of handlebar. Can anyone comment on that, and does anyone have a set of "G" mirrors they'd consider parting with? I know there are aftermarket mirrors out there but I like the old school round style.

Cheers!
    K

I just put superbike bars on my 850G and I used these bar end mirrors. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    They are fairly small but I have them arranged outboard of the hand grips and I have zero visibility issues. It takes some fiddling to get them set but once you have them positioned just clamp them down and you are good to go.

Comment

I had same problem years ago- I ditched the stock mirrors and found some early 80's mirrors off a honda cb900 (?). Stuck out farther,round,nicely convex(on forward side) and zero vibration- it's nice to read the plate of the SUV behind you. Other Hondas of this vintage should be similar.
      1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

I bought a pair of these to try out. There is a "procedure" for installing them including blue loctite on all the hardware.

Comment

Originally posted by tom203 View Post
          I had same problem years ago- I ditched the stock mirrors and found some early 80's mirrors off a honda cb900 (?). Stuck out farther,round,nicely convex(on forward side) and zero vibration- it's nice to read the plate of the SUV behind you. Other Hondas of this vintage should be similar.
          I think I'm going to go this route. I don't want to go with bar end mirrors because I don't think it would look right on an "L" model. Stems a couple inches longer would be just about right. As it is I can see the left lane but nothing behind me. But I have a great view of my shoulder!

Cheers!
          K

Comment

Where did you pick up the Daytona bars from and what did they set you back?

Comment

Originally posted by smcneish View Post
              Where did you pick up the Daytona bars from and what did they set you back?
              I got mine from Babbits in Michigan. They were around $20. Z1, Bikebandit and a host of others carry them for around the same price.

Comment

Originally posted by ShadowFocus603 View Post
                I just put superbike bars on my 850G and I used these bar end mirrors. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
                They are fairly small but I have them arranged outboard of the hand grips and I have zero visibility issues. It takes some fiddling to get them set but once you have them positioned just clamp them down and you are good to go.

I went with the same ones and love them. the bar ends I had when I got it were bigger, but because of the PO's bubba-ing (gun forum PO slingo), the right side wouldn't stay up. These held up great on I-5 when I was out. And I don't mind the smaller size. But I agree with skinner, these wouldn't look right on a cruiser style bike IMHO

Comment

Working...
                X