cleaning engine without removing it?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

cleaning engine without removing it?

I was talking with some friends about removing the engine and cleaning it thoroughly, then possibly painting it. Everyone told me not to take the engine out if you don't need to, and that I could clean it just fine with it still mounted.

I'm not sure where to begin in the cleaning process. It's mostly oil and grime. Here are a few photos (including the valve cover gasket seepage that I will be replacing when I do the valve clearances):

Where should I start?

I am glad this was posted and am looking for some posts regarding experience in this. I gave up on painting mine because I haven't figured out a real good way to do this without tearing the whole thing out and down.

Comment

Captain obvious here...Gunk engine degreaser, a stiff bristled brush, and lots of elbow grease. May take several applications.
      Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

It looks like a previous owner spray bombed the engine with flat black.....something.

You might have to remove the engine, use a chemical stripper, rinse, scrub, degrease, then repaint to make it look nice again.
        sigpic

SUZUKI:
        1978 GS1000E; 1980 GS1000G; 1982 GS650E; 1982 GS1100G; 1982 GS1100E; 1985 GS700ES
        HONDA: 1981 CB900F Super Sport
        KAWASAKI: 1981 KZ550A-2; 1984 ZX750A-2 (aka GPZ750); 1984 KZ700A-1
        YAMAHA: 1983 XJ750RK Seca

Free speech is the foundation of an open society. Each time a society bans a word or phrase it deems “offensive”, it chips away at that very foundation upon which it was built.

Comment

One of your exhaust studs is making it's way out, you need to address that. As for cleaning, scrub, rinse & repeat

Comment

I've always lacked the diligence to put a real show finish on a street bike. The best I have done as far as getting a good start is oven cleaner. Let it set for awhile, hose it off, let it dry some and do it again. Nothing left but stains. Most of those engine degreasers are just basically kerosene, I think. Much cheaper. I've used diesel as well.

Comment

I would start with a new valve cover gasket or you are wasting your time. Simple green on a warm engine with stiff brush works well.

V
              Gustov
              80 GS 1100 LT, 83 1100 G "Scruffy"
              81 GS 1000 G
              79 GS 850 G
              81 GS 850 L
              83 GS 550 ES, 85 GS 550 ES
              80 GS 550 L
              86 450 Rebel, 70CL 70, Yamaha TTR125
              2002 Honda 919
              2004 Ural Gear up

Comment

Yes, obviously I would replace the valve cover gasket and then deep clean everything. Just was wondering if there were any other tips.

Stiff brushes, Gunk, wd40, elbow grease. Got it.

Comment

It may seems obvious but I am a mechanic; whenever I do a detail or painting or the like it goes very bad; very, very bad.

Once I do the cleaning any thoughts on prep? I have a can of VHT header paint staring me in the face. I really want to do a nice job, or the reverse of what I normally do. BTW whenever I install headers on my race cars I would slather them in ATF and for some reason the finish ends up lasting. Got the tip from a PSCA racer.

Comment

I get Oil Eater at Costco. They don't always have it but I just got some. It is very effective and not at all offensive like Gunk engine degreaser.

I would have to disassemble it and start from there. When you paint, get catalyzed automotive paint (if you have the equipment to apply it) instead of rattle cans. It's expensive but worth it if you are going to keep your bike and want it to look sharp for a long time.
                    sigpic
                    1983 GS1100ES (Bought July 2014)
                    1983 GS1100E (Bought July 2014)
                    1985 GS700ES (Bought June 2015) Sold
                    On Christ the Solid Rock I Stand
                    All Other Ground is Sinking Sand

Comment

This would be my first time removing an engine. Tips on where to start as far as removal? I know the obvious: airbox, carbs, plugs, wires, drain oil, etc. But is there an order of operations that works best?

Comment

Noted. I have new studs to replace them all. Thanks!

Originally posted by nejeff View Post
                        One of your exhaust studs is making it's way out, you need to address that. As for cleaning, scrub, rinse & repeat

Comment

i agree with wymple on the oven cleaner. it really works wonders. just wear long sleeves because it has a mild acid that don't feel too good on the skin. i also use aerosol carb cleaner for the hard to get stuff. becareful with the oven cleaner, because it can remove the paint on the frame.

Comment

Originally posted by growler View Post
                            This would be my first time removing an engine. Tips on where to start as far as removal? I know the obvious: airbox, carbs, plugs, wires, drain oil, etc. But is there an order of operations that works best?
                            After removing the obvious things, it does make it easier to remove the valve cover first to gain a bit of clearance.

The engine removes from the right side after removing the mounts. You can lay the bike on it's side and pick the frame off the engine or slide the engine out of the frame with the bike on the stand. I find it helpful to use a flat wonder bar to support the front of the engine while sliding it out and removing mounts.

Cover the frame with something to help keep it from scratching it. I use a bike lift with a piece of plywood on it to accept the engine when sliding it out.

V
                            Gustov
                            80 GS 1100 LT, 83 1100 G "Scruffy"
                            81 GS 1000 G
                            79 GS 850 G
                            81 GS 850 L
                            83 GS 550 ES, 85 GS 550 ES
                            80 GS 550 L
                            86 450 Rebel, 70CL 70, Yamaha TTR125
                            2002 Honda 919
                            2004 Ural Gear up

Comment

It is a lot more work to remove motor, but that is the only way to do the job properly. It just depends how much work you are willing to put into it. If you cut corners, it will show in the end. And whether you remove the motor or not, don't under estimate the value of proper prep work.

Also, I use different sizes of stiff wire brushes (large, regular, and tooth brush size).

Comment

Working...
                              X