No announcement yet.

cleaning engine without removing it?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

For cleaning the cooling fins, I use a paint stick that I wrap with a scotchbrite pad. You can whittle the paint stick to get into the deep recesses. Does a fast job and the fins come out real nice. I use a few grades of pad depending on the tarnish, and spray it with a bit of water once in a while

Comment

Great advice everyone, thanks!

Comment

I think I'm going to replace the valve cover gasket while I'm checking my valve clearances, then once the valve cover is back on and not leaking I'll really do my best to clean the heck out of the engine while it's still mounted. I'll remove the gas tank and really get in there from every angle I can. I think pulling the engine may be a little out of my league for now. If I'm not completely satisfied, I'll think about pulling it over winter.

Comment

To me -- It depends on what your desired end result is going to be.
          IF you want a showroom new look you will have to pull the engine and really clean all the nooks & crannies.
          But if you just want it clean enough to pass the 10 foot eyeball test (from 10 feet away it looks good to the naked eye) then an
          IN-BIKE clean can be very efficient.
          I would use Simple Green in a spray wand like soap and a brush...
          Just spray it on - brush it around - and rinse it off. Repeat as necessary .
          AFTER you fix the leaks of course...

Currently in the Stable :
          2002 Honda Goldwing GL1800 Sunburst Pearl Orange
          1983 Suzuki GS850 GL Blue & Black

" I am never lost until I run out of fuel...until that moment I am EXPLORING."
          - Carl R. Munkwitz

Munk's Maxim: "There is no such thing as a cheap motorcycle"

Comment

I will echo the praise for Simple Green. Once you have changed the gasket, warm the engine up a bit then spray on the SG and let it sit a few minutes. Rinse it off and be amazed at how much junk it removed. Once you have done the SG pass you will find the heavily gunked areas that may need some heavier solvents like an engine degreaser. Add in some scrubbing with a stiff bristle brush and a couple more applications of SG and you will be amazed at the transformation on your bike. It won't be concourse perfect of course, but it will be many times better than before.

Mark
            1982 GS1100E
            1998 ZX-6R
            2005 KTM 450EXC

Comment

i find that degreaser leaves a slick film most of the time and attract dirt again, personally prefer to use brake cleaner or mineral spirits in spray bottle. On a hot engine grime almost disappears with brake cleaner. Scrubbing bubbles also does a good job of scrubbing for you.

Comment

soda blast it
                1978 GS1085.

Just remember, an opinion without 3.14 is just an onion!

Comment

all sorts of advice and cleaners to use. thanks!

Comment

Working...
                  X