Any GS850L windshield solutions out there

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Any GS850L windshield solutions out there

New-to-me bike and I went on an extended trip to a vintage Japanese bike show (Rice-O-Rama) today.

After the first half hour at steady highway speeds (55 -75), I realized how much I have to work just to keep my head upright. After another half hour I was getting tired. My neck is still feeling it. Arriving at my destination 90 minutes after leaving home, I realized how much the wind noise bothers me. Felt half deaf in one ear as I parked. I need a windshield !

I have a Vetter IV that came stripped - disassembled/all apart - with the bike, when I bought it. It's missing the windshield and probably several other pieces. Is there a better way than to add all that weight and width ? Is there a windshield for this bike that will push the wind out of the way significantly, so I am not deafened by wind noise so much ?

Would rather not use the full-face helmet all the time. It's is much quieter but still the neck strain, just pushing air out of the way, is significant, at speed.

Suggestions ? Considering trying to make one but wondering about legalities for use on public roadways, here in New England. Did Suzuki offer an optional or stock windshield for this bike ?

Originally posted by tirebiter View Post
    Did Suzuki offer an optional or stock windshield for this bike ?
    Some Suzukis were offered with the Calafia STX fairing, which is basically a competitor's version of your Windjammer.

Other options are handlebar-mounted windshields. Click on the links in my sig, you will see a National Cycle Plexifairing 3 on my wife's 850L and a National Cycle Deflector Screen on my son's 650L.

Both of them see regular use on the highway and for several hours at a time, no complaints with either one.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

After the first half hour at steady highway speeds (55 -75), I realized how much I have to work just to keep my head upright. After another half hour I was getting tired. My neck is still feeling it.
      Are you running the stock handlebars? If so, they'll have you sitting very upright at speed. Go for some that give you a bit of forward lean to counter the wind, like Daytonas.

What kind of helmet? A 3/4 helmet will "capture" a whole bunch more air than a full-face will.

Arriving at my destination 90 minutes after leaving home, I realized how much the wind noise bothers me. Felt half deaf in one ear as I parked. I need a windshield !
      And ear plugs.
      Charles
      --
      1979 Suzuki GS850G

Read BassCliff's GSR Greeting and Mega-Welcome!

Comment

How about one of these?

But seriously; I've been using a commuter-style windshield for years, after becoming disenchanted with a distinctly inferior Vetter clone.
        The windshield provides all the upper body protection I need and for winter I put on a set of legshields.
        This works well, but I plan on fitting BMW RT bodywork for a longer term solution.
        This is very similar to what I've got, but mine has shorter side portions.

The wedge shape on the nose/bar ends really helps at speed, I find.
        ---- Dave
        79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
        80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
        79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
        92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

1983 GS850 GL - Approx 42-44 MPG always - I look over this windscreen - I am about 5'11" -
          Slightly tinted but still see through.

Last edited by Wingsconsin; 09-08-2014, 04:31 PM. Reason: Add info
          Currently in the Stable :
          2002 Honda Goldwing GL1800 Sunburst Pearl Orange
          1983 Suzuki GS850 GL Blue & Black

" I am never lost until I run out of fuel...until that moment I am EXPLORING."
          - Carl R. Munkwitz

Munk's Maxim: "There is no such thing as a cheap motorcycle"

Comment

I rode a Virago all over hell last year with a Streetfighter type windshield. I still have one lying around I could part with if you want to go that route. Don't know where you are located, tho. You'll catch more air than a Windjammer, but it does kill almost all the air pressure.
            Last edited by wymple; 09-08-2014, 11:38 AM.

Comment

Windjammers are old school and they will do the job very well but they are not beneficial to the bikes handling and they are heavy and will cost you MPG. Also they are not that easy on the eye, lets face it, the 70s/80s are over.

If you do use a Windjammer type make positively sure they have not been compromised (cracked) , mainly at the bottom four mounting bolts. Broken one's are dangerous. I have given away /thrown in the dumpster dozens of old Vetter and other big fairings.

I started using a Maier this year mainly for the same reasons you stated and I like it very much. It does seem to clip about 2 MPG off but I can live with it

Comment

This little fairing on the GS850G seems to punch holes in the wind just right, when I jump on my Z9 without a fairing I realy get buffeted around the 100 kph range, amazing what a bit of fibreglass will do.

Comment

Checking around to see about finding a mounting bracket for the Vetter, Windjammer 4. I like the idea of mounting the windhsield to the frame even if via a heavy fiberglass fairing. Would be a no-brainer if I did not already have the complete and in good shape (no cracks) -sans windshield - Vetter with lights, trim and and harness.

Comfort matters more to me than speed and agility but with a very close eye on fuel economy at the same time. Considering doing some coast-down testing if/when I get the Vetter and windshield mounted. Compare it too no windshield. See if the aerodynamics are worse, with the Vetter. Could not find anything online in that direction.

Comment

Wingsconsin what model is that National Cycle windscreen you are running? I'm looking to put something along those lines on the fiance's 750L for fall riding.

Comment

Wingsconsin what model is that National Cycle windscreen you are running? I'm looking to put something along those lines on the fiance's 750L for fall riding. It looks like the Plexistar 2 but hard to tell.
                      Last edited by Guest; 09-13-2014, 06:55 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by ShadowFocus603 View Post
                        Wingsconsin what model is that National Cycle windscreen you are running? I'm looking to put something along those lines on the fiance's 750L for fall riding. It looks like the Plexistar 2 but hard to tell.
                        Look back in post #2, I gave links to the two screens that we are using here.

sigpic
                        Family Portrait
                        Siblings and Spouses
                        Mom's first ride
                        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)

Comment

I have posted this a few times:

If you like the Windjammer...and I do.....just make a new windshield to suit your riding position.

1/8 Plexiglass works VERY well.

The stock Vetter windshield is thicker, but I have used 1/8 on the GK at 120MPH, and on the Bandit at 150mph, without any problem so I am pretty sure it will hold up. Temperature was also not a problem as I rode the GK in a temperature range of 15F to 100F. The Vetter is actually less likely to flex because the fairing body sits higher, so there will be less plexiglass used.

It IS important to use plexiglass, or another of similar quality, as lucite is more likely to discolour and may become brittle
                          Bertrand Russell: 'Men are born ignorant, not stupid. They are made stupid by education.'

Comment

Originally posted by ShadowFocus603 View Post

The classic Plexistar 2™ is the sporty version of the Plexifairing. The cut of the Plexistar 2 is a bit larger around the headlight opening and the extended lowers are shorter. It's a favorite fairing for year-round riding and for many riders who require good upper chest and hand protection.
                            A wide range of fitments are available for specific models to assure a superior fit. Available for most motorcycles.

The best-selling Plexifairing™ features our patented QuickSet™ Mounting Hardware for easy, 10-second installation and removal. With integral lowers and hand deflectors, the Plexifairing provides excellent year-round, all-season wind protection.
                            Currently in the Stable :
                            2002 Honda Goldwing GL1800 Sunburst Pearl Orange
                            1983 Suzuki GS850 GL Blue & Black

" I am never lost until I run out of fuel...until that moment I am EXPLORING."
                            - Carl R. Munkwitz

Munk's Maxim: "There is no such thing as a cheap motorcycle"

Comment

Originally posted by argonsagas View Post
                              I have posted this a few times:

If you like the Windjammer...and I do.....just make a new windshield to suit your riding position.

1/8 Plexiglass works VERY well.
                              It IS important to use plexiglass, or another of similar quality, as lucite is more likely to discolour and may become brittle
                              I have seen 1/8" Lexan used with good results, too.

sigpic
                              Family Portrait
                              Siblings and Spouses
                              Mom's first ride

Comment

Working...
                              X