Ceramic and powder coated a few parts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ceramic and powder coated a few parts

Well I didn't...but Rick's did. The old Kerker, the clutch and brake levers, and rear link:

Attached Files
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    2014 BMW F800GSA | 1981 GS850GX | 1982 GS750T (now the son-in-laws) | 1983 GS750ES | 1983 Honda V45 Magna (needs some love) | 1980 Yamaha GT80 and LB80 "Chappy" | 1973 and 1975 Honda XL250 projects

Is that a satin or matte finish on the levers?
    The pipe looks great. Please report back on the durability.
    2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

Everything except the pipe is flat black according to my coater. Looks somewhere between matte and satin.

The pipe is Ceramacoated and yes I will report back on the durability and finish - once it gets some heat going through it I do expect there may be some color or sheen differences.
      2014 BMW F800GSA | 1981 GS850GX | 1982 GS750T (now the son-in-laws) | 1983 GS750ES | 1983 Honda V45 Magna (needs some love) | 1980 Yamaha GT80 and LB80 "Chappy" | 1973 and 1975 Honda XL250 projects

Comment

Was that link a custom deal you or someone else made or was it factory? I ask because the welds look some rough. If that's factory it almost makes me wanna check mine for integrity. Everything looks great though. I wish I had the $$$ for some PC.

Comment

Originally posted by ShadowFocus603 View Post
          Was that link a custom deal you or someone else made or was it factory? I ask because the welds look some rough. If that's factory it almost makes me wanna check mine for integrity. Everything looks great though. I wish I had the $$$ for some PC.
          Sorry Shadow, been working double shifts and haven't had time to to work on my bike let alone reply to any threads, it is the factory link...Wish I had noticed the crappy welds before I took it to the coater, granted I'll be getting more items coated this winter so I'll probably just grind the coating off, re-weld and take it in although I'm not sure what structural support any actually provides.

Comment

I have a stock one kicking around here,yours for shipping.Those ain't factory welds,as bad as the factory welds are they aren't that bad.

Comment

Originally posted by SVSooke View Post
              I have a stock one kicking around here,yours for shipping.Those ain't factory welds,as bad as the factory welds are they aren't that bad.
              Thanks for the offer! That's mighty kind of you...I honestly think this is the factory link. My bike had 5k on it when I got it last year and it seems as though it hasn't had much done to it (that I know of) other than the pipe, mirrors and blinkers, cosmetically it's stock. Guess ya never know but can't imagine why someone would replace something so trivial.

I did grind down the welds a bit to remove the paint and some surface rust, which may have exposed the bad welds even more so...

May try to fix it up a bit myself over the winter or take you up on yours if not, thanks again!

Comment

Looks to me like someone "reinforced" the factory welds,here's what the one I'd send looks like.

Comment

Originally posted by SVSooke View Post
                  Looks to me like someone "reinforced" the factory welds,here's what the one I'd send looks like.
                  Indeed it does. And did a crappy job at that!

I know I've asked you about the tach before (got a whole cluster from jwhelan and working now!) but do you have the whole swing arm and mono shock setup for the ES in your parts stash? I know you bought 3 bikes from the scrap yard, not sure what you kept. And shipping wouldn't be cheap, but...

Thinking about looking into converting one of my project 750's to a wider rear end this spring or summer and the aluminum swing arm and full floater are pretty sweet... Not sure what would work and what would need modifying or if the cost would be worth it. My buddy that I'm doing the project with wants to do a hard tail bobber setup, I'd be more inclined (based on cost not being too outrageous or parts being too hard to find or in bad shape) to look into this personally.

hmmm...

Comment

Got the bike back on the road late last night (neighbors probably love me starting it up at midnight) and rode it to work today. I had the carbs off replacing a stripped pilot jet and had all the covers off for coating but she looks good now.

Little let funny smell as the Ceramicoat "cures" under the high exhaust temps and it's hard to tell from the pics but already on this first ride, the header is turning dark grey, whereas the muffler can is still black (and yes, I need to repair the side cover rear tab and get my fairing back on, got home late from the state fair and it was 1am and I still need to double check the valves and do a plug chop):

Comment

Timing cover looks good, it was badly scraped up by the PO, as was the stator case cover so I had them coated. One day I'll get new ones but for now these will do. Having trouble uploading from photobucket through my phone, hence the multiple posts and attached uploaded images versus linked. Upside down? Wth? It's not upside down in my camera roll.
                      Attached Files

Comment

One more:

Comment

Originally posted by mikerophone View Post
                          Indeed it does. And did a crappy job at that!

I know I've asked you about the tach before (got a whole cluster from jwhelan and working now!) but do you have the whole swing arm and mono shock setup for the ES in your parts stash? I know you bought 3 bikes from the scrap yard, not sure what you kept. And shipping wouldn't be cheap, but...

Thinking about looking into converting one of my project 750's to a wider rear end this spring or summer and the aluminum swing arm and full floater are pretty sweet... Not sure what would work and what would need modifying or if the cost would be worth it. My buddy that I'm doing the project with wants to do a hard tail bobber setup, I'd be more inclined (based on cost not being too outrageous or parts being too hard to find or in bad shape) to look into this personally.

hmmm...
                          I don't really have a full swing arm set up like what you want.I got those bikes 3 years ago and sold/gave away just a ton of parts since then.Used quite a few myself toGotten to the point I've had to get parts from Joe

Comment

Working...
                          X