Handlebar suggestions for my 82 1100L?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Handlebar suggestions for my 82 1100L?

I'm looking for handlebar suggestions for my 82 1100L. The stock bars grips point back a bit too much to be comfortable. I'm looking for something with the same set back but with the grips pointed out more so my wrists can be in a more natural position.

Thanks in advance,

Rob

Welcome to the site Rob, a lot of folks like the Daytona and Superbike style of bars
    Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
    1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
    2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
    Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
    and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

The Daytona and Superbike bars are, indeed a popular option, but they are also going to put you quite forward, leaning into the wind.

If you have no windshield, that is great. However, if you are using a windshield, a set of stock G bars might be a better option, they will pretty much split the difference between your L bars and the Daytona/Superbike bars.

sigpic
      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
      Family Portrait
      Siblings and Spouses
      Mom's first ride
      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by cowboyup3371 View Post
        Welcome to the site Rob, a lot of folks like the Daytona and Superbike style of bars
        Thanks for the welcome, but I'm not exactly new. I hadn't logged in in a while so my account got deleted. Live and learn.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
          The Daytona and Superbike bars are, indeed a popular option, but they are also going to put you quite forward, leaning into the wind.

If you have no windshield, that is great. However, if you are using a windshield, a set of stock G bars might be a better option, they will pretty much split the difference between your L bars and the Daytona/Superbike bars.

Yeah, I was hoping to not go forward very much because it's just not that kind of bike. The bars on the '82 aren't nearly as extreme buckhorn-ish as the ones on the '80. Those point almost straight back. Looks like I can pickup a decent set of used ones on ebay fairly cheaply so I'll give them a go. Thanks.

Any suggestions for grips? The throttle tube has a flange on it that appears to want a grip that goes over it. My current grips just butt up against it so it looks unfinished.

Comment

Originally posted by ChicagoRob View Post
            Any suggestions for grips? The throttle tube has a flange on it that appears to want a grip that goes over it. My current grips just butt up against it so it looks unfinished.
            Grips are a very personal thing, so what appeals to me probably won't apply to you.

My hands tend to cramp up when clamped around smaller grips, so I prefer larger ones. Because my bikes tend to be more touring-oriented, they might have a bit more chrome than others, so my grips also have some chrome. You can see one if you click on the link in my sig for my 850G(K). The picture of my Wing was taken before I got similar grips for it, but it now has them, too.

My wife has smaller hands, her grips are foam and barrel-shaped. Fits the palm of her hand just fine.

When you DO find some grips that you think you like, be sure to check the length. Some grips are longer than the space on your handlebar, so the ends will not be supported and will tend to be floppy.

sigpic
            Family Portrait
            Siblings and Spouses
            Mom's first ride
            Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)

Comment

CX 500 or 500 Interstate bars are a good alternative to the stock L bars. They are about the same width and angled more forward than the L bars as well as maintaining the look if you care about that. Here is a pair on my 80 1100L.

V
              Last edited by gustovh; 09-22-2014, 11:55 AM.
              Gustov
              80 GS 1100 LT, 83 1100 G "Scruffy"
              81 GS 1000 G
              79 GS 850 G
              81 GS 850 L
              83 GS 550 ES, 85 GS 550 ES
              80 GS 550 L
              86 450 Rebel, 70CL 70, Yamaha TTR125
              2002 Honda 919
              2004 Ural Gear up

Comment

The '78 and '79 GS750E models have a pretty good hbar layout and change from the L pull back bars. They are not quite as high as the stock G model bars. I've used Daytona and Superbike bars but they lower and move you forward quite a bit from L bars. You may also have problems with mirror usefullness, brake line bends and rerouting throttle and clutch cables with those. The GS750E bars are a good compromise without necessitating other mods. There are Grand Touring bars too that are comfortable but not such a drastic change as the Daytona/Suprbike but may still affect mirror usefullness and cable routing.

Comment

Great suggestions, thanks. I already bought a set of '83 G handlebars off ebay so if those don't work out, I'll try the others.

Steve, is that some sort of throttle device on your wife's 850? I have something similar on the other bike and on a recent 500 ride it was a wrist saver. Funny, I think that I currently have the grips that used to be on your GoldWing...

Comment

Originally posted by ChicagoRob View Post
                    Steve, is that some sort of throttle device on your wife's 850? I have something similar on the other bike and on a recent 500 ride it was a wrist saver. Funny, I think that I currently have the grips that used to be on your GoldWing...
                    Yes, it is. Quite surprised that you could see it. It is the Universal Vista Cruise throttle lock, costs about $35 at most vendors.

The only close-up I have of it on her bike is when I had the throttle marked for plug chops.
                    Also shows her foam grips.

Here is one on another bike:

Can't tell much from that picture of the Wing, but it had some leather grips from the previous owner. They were fine, until they finally fell apart and I had to get the replacements like what I have on my 850.

sigpic
                    Family Portrait
                    Siblings and Spouses
                    Mom's first ride

Comment

Ok, that appears to be these Do you happen to know if anyone has had any luck with the NEP model? It seems to be a bit smaller and I think that I get the idea. It pinches the throttle tube while the u-shaped tab goes around the throttle cable to hold it in place. I think that I'll give it a shot.

Comment

Save your money, don't get the NEP.

I have tried that myself, could not get it to work properly. I have also tried to help others install one that they had purchased, mainly because it was cheaper. Maybe with a lot of time and effort, you might be able to figure out what doesn't allow it to work, but the Universal Vista Cruise has never failed me.

The cheaper one basically straddles the throttle tube, and has a tab that is supposed to encircle the cable as it comes out of the housing to keep the clamp from rotating with the throttle. I have not seen one fit well in that location yet, which means that there is a LOT of play when you clamp down on the lock. The Universal model has a ring that goes around the grip and is clamped to it. There is a band that rides in a groove in that ring, giving smooth, consistent clamping force when desired.

Keep in mind that, even though you clamp the throttle tube, it is still free to move, just not on its own. You can still add a little throttle to go up hills and back off some when going down the other side, without releasing the clamp.

Yes, it costs about twice as much, but it's worth it. If you take your time and put a little effort into it, you almost don't notice it when it's installed. It is available in four varieties. It is available in black or chrome, and to fit 7/8" or 1" bars.

Here is what mine looks like, while the bike is undergoing reconstruction:

sigpic
                        Family Portrait
                        Siblings and Spouses
                        Mom's first ride

Comment

I have a throttle lock on my 650g, and I agree it's a hand saver. What's fun is forgetting that you have it engaged and you disengage the clutch to shift

Comment

Originally posted by 60ratrod View Post
                            I have a throttle lock on my 650g, and I agree it's a hand saver. What's fun is forgetting that you have it engaged and you disengage the clutch to shift
                            Don't you somewhat automatically move your throttle hand to close the throttle when you shift?

Doesn't everybody?

sigpic
                            Family Portrait
                            Siblings and Spouses
                            Mom's first ride

Comment

Thanks for the info Steve. I'll avoid that one. It's not the cost of the universal, it's size. (you gotta admit, it's pretty large) I'll check the fit against my preferred grips and visit this again after I get the bars sorted.

Thanks again for all the info

Rob

Comment

Working...
                              X