No announcement yet.

Powder Coat Removal from Wheels

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Great for you IF your able to discern the exact second the wheel is gonna rip thru the coating. My point is thats not gonna happen 100% of the time and the first time he goes too deep hes gonna be pizzed!!!! Been there and done that.

Blasting is far more controllable and it wont leave mark or gouges. Nice even and satin smooth finish left behind. But that just my take on it of course.

And why do all the extra sanding etc etc that your describing when in one fail swoop its all done and over with????
    MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
    1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

And here I am sitting with a set of wheels that I could send you.To bad the shipping would be killer

Comment

Sandblasters are the cats pajamas. Particularly these days with a wide variety of cheap media available for just about any surface. Although ye ole' wire wheel or cup may work just the thought of all that finicky labour and sanding. Ugh. It reminds me of the old Wagner. Power Painter commercials..

Comment

Originally posted by bluewool View Post
          Sandblasters are the cats pajamas. Particularly these days with a wide variety of cheap media available for just about any surface.
          Yes they are, love my el cheap HF blaster, just makes a mess without a bast cabinet!
          ----------------------------------------------------------------
          2014 BMW F800GSA | 1981 GS850GX | 1982 GS750T (now the son-in-laws) | 1983 GS750ES | 1983 Honda V45 Magna (needs some love) | 1980 Yamaha GT80 and LB80 "Chappy" | 1973 and 1975 Honda XL250 projects

Comment

I may be late to this but wouldn't aircraft stripper do the job? Ive used that stuff on everything and it just bubbles paint or powder coat off everything no problem.

Comment

I have used an oxy/acetylene, MAPP gas or propane torch to burn powder coating off. You don't have to get it hotter than just melting the powder coating. Ray.

Comment

Originally posted by hampshirehog View Post
                If you can still get paint stripper containing dichloromethane (now banned here) that does the job a treat. I have to take my stuff to the pros now to get acid dipped.

Blasting by the way just seems to bounce off.
                Dichloromethane is only banned as a paint stripper for the domestic market. It's still freely available as a normal chemical. <cough> ebay <cough>. Frankly though, I've had it just about up to here with EU BS and faceless bureaucrats banning useful stuff.
                ---- Dave

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

Working...
                X