Chopzuki

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks for the kind words gentlemen,

The Turbo looks rather large, but it is an old (1978 or so) RayJay. It has a large housing but a rather small diameter turbine and compressor. Even though it has a Mr. Turbo air cleaner, I'm pretty sure it is an ATP system that was originally designed for the KZ900/1000's. ATP went out of business some time ago so I have been unable to get much information on the system. It was a lucky score off a used up '77 GS750 drag bike.

Mr. turbo says they can make a system for any bike but since I have all the parts I need I haven't checked into this claim.

As far as Hard Tail shaft drives, there have been quite a few. Check out www.redneckcycles.com and you can see one. You'll also see where the design for the back half of my frame came from. I think it might be easier to do a frame for a shaftie, but your limited to the amount you can strech the frame if you are not willing to spend the cash to lengthen the shaft and housing.

Steve

Comment

that is frickin beautiful!!!! I love the bobber style.

Comment

thats hot

very nice. if yoiu don't mind me asking, where do you get frames like that for these bikes. was it made for it or did you fab. it yourself. i'm in the process of making my 83' gs 750 an old school chopper. thanks for any info.

Comment

Designed and built it myself.
          You could find a frame made for a Triumph motor and change the motor mounts. A friend went that route for his KZ900 chop.
          There is also a Canadian company that will build anything you want (Designcycles.com?).

Comment

Post some more pics as you go.It's looking great!
            I'm going to take mine down to the local welding shop and let them start cutting mine up.I don't want to strech it.I just want to take the frame down from behind the tank to the back axle and remove the back shocks.I guess about a 45 angle.What I don't know is..What to do about the swing arm?Do I need to weld it in place or cut it out and put solid frame back in?

Comment

Originally posted by ElKaBong
              What to do about the swing arm?Do I need to weld it in place or cut it out and put solid frame back in?
              What might be cool would be to put a heavy duty leaf type spring in front of the rear wheel and use some sort of monoshock to give you the look of a hardtail while retaining at least a little suspension action back there. I don't know if anyone has done this, but in concept I can "see it" and it looks both good and unique.

By the way, Wheelie, NICE JOB! I'm really impressed. Have you done this sort of fabrication before or is this the first try?

Steve 8)

Comment

Elk,
                Check out the photos on my website to see how I cut up the frame. Hopefully you've got a high speed connection as some of the photos are large. First time building a website as well as my first time fabricating a chopper frame. I'm just happy the frame turned out a whole lot better than the website.

Steve

Comment

wow!!! just happened on this post trying to glean info on manifold leaks, but that's a SWEET lookin ride!! I can't wait till I have an "extra" bike laying around!!

Comment

That's a really nice looking bike there. Well done.

one odd question though. where did you pick up the foam for the seat?
                    You'd have to be crazy to be sane in this world -Nero
                    If you love it, let it go. If it comes back....... You probably highsided.
                    1980 GS550E (I swear it's a 550...)
                    1982 GS650E (really, it's a 650)
                    1983 GS550ES (42mpg again)
                    1996 Yamaha WR250 (No, it's not a 4 stroke.)
                    1971 Yamaha LT2 (9 horsepower of FURY.)

Comment

That bike looks like fun. Maybe someday if I ever have a real shop and money to spend I will be something like that.

Comment

What color are you going to paint it? It's looking like a very nice bike.

Comment

The seat foam is nothing more than carpet padding. 3 to 7 layers of 1/2" rebond to be exact. I just kept adding layers, glued together with dupont "Super 77" spray glue. Then trim it with a bread knife.

The color? I have no F...in' idea. The problem is I have too many ideas.
                          Olive Drab
                          Burnt orange fading to a golden brown
                          Black
                          Suzuki Blue and White
                          Electric green
                          Cover the all body work in black leather
                          Colonial Yellow ( the color of my first pick up)
                          Silver with all the aluminum brushed
                          And on, and on, and on

Comment

chopsuzi

8) nice ride wheelie ! is that the original gas tank ? how did you get it mounted so high.? sweeeettt. h.g.

Comment

I can only say 3 things Wheelie,
                              1. You're completely insane
                              2. That's an amazing project.
                              3. I'm thoroughly GREEN with envy.

It makes me think about chopping my 1000s. I won't do it, but I will think about it. Hope you have have Waayyy too much fun on it!

Comment

Very cool. I like the webbing on your GS1000 man, sweet also!

Comment

Working...
                                X