Shorty Clutch and Brake Levers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Shorty Clutch and Brake Levers

Has anyone installed these? I don't think I have small hands or anything, but the clutch and brake levers feel so far away sometimes. I know my hands would be more comfortable if I had levers a little closer to the grips. Looking at switching to these as a solution....

Not me. I don't think it's the length of the lever as much as the angle of the dangle. Like most, I usually keep at least one or more fingers resting on the brake lever. You can't do that comfortably?
    1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

Shortening the lever will also increase resistance. I'd keep that in mind.
      http://img633.imageshack.us/img633/811/douMvs.jpg
      1980 GS1000GT (Daily rider with a 1983 1100G engine)
      1998 Honda ST1100 (Daily long distance rider)
      1982 GS850GLZ (Daily rider when the weather is crap)

Darn, with so many daily riders it's hard to decide which one to jump on next.;)

JTGS850GL aka Julius

GS Resource Greetings

Comment

Not really. I don't have little nubbin fingers, I swear. Maybe I should try to just adjust my existing controls, maybe a different angle will feel better. I just feel I have to stretch out my hands a bit to grab them with my fingers. Hasn't bothered me on other bikes, though. Strange.

Comment

Good point. Noted. I'll play with adjustments first.

Originally posted by JTGS850GL View Post
          Shortening the lever will also increase resistance. I'd keep that in mind.

Comment

Try some span-adjust types on your brakes, if your master cylinder will allow it.
            I've recently developed an appreciation of the Deauville master cylinder, which comes with a dog-leg and click-adjust span - excellent design of conventional length but allows just about anyone to fit it nicely.
            I'm not a fan of short levers, because if you use them all day, you really feel the strain. Alternatively, you might end up with ferociously developed fingers, which will enable you to crack walnuts between two knuckles. Hey, there's always a bright side
            On bikes where they've been designed in, with hydraulically-operated clutches and where the hydraulic leverage is sorted out properly, yes, they can work, but an older mechanically-pulled clutch is at the mercy of the basic laws of leverage as expressed on your fingers.
            ---- Dave

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

Working...
            X