Where to have bracket cut/made?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Where to have bracket cut/made?

So I failed miserably at my first bracket attempt (for mini speedo & tach). Ready to just have someone cut one via machine for preciseness. I used an angle grinder, drill press, and metal files, but just can't get everything to line up right. It's getting messy with me trying to make adjustments. I'm frustrated. Do I go to a metal shop? CNC place? I've never had anything cut/fabricated before so I'm not sure who to contact.

I'm looking to have something like this made:

I love this whole build. Does anyone have contact with this member? I'd pay him for his bracket plans!
    Are you doing a restoration project of some kind on a GS? Let everyone see what you are doing by posting the details here.
    Last edited by Guest; 03-26-2015, 11:42 AM.

Create one in paper or cardboard first. Once you have it just the way you want it you can take it to a metal fab shop.
    Or a place that does one off welding - Quality Welding in Sussex has done some work for me -
    Affordable and quick .. Look them up on Facebook... just one choice...
    Currently in the Stable :
    2002 Honda Goldwing GL1800 Sunburst Pearl Orange
    1983 Suzuki GS850 GL Blue & Black

" I am never lost until I run out of fuel...until that moment I am EXPLORING."
    - Carl R. Munkwitz

Munk's Maxim: "There is no such thing as a cheap motorcycle"

Comment

This is just the info I was looking for. Thanks for the info!

Originally posted by Wingsconsin View Post
      Create one in paper or cardboard first. Once you have it just the way you want it you can take it to a metal fab shop.
      Or a place that does one off welding - Quality Welding in Sussex has done some work for me -
      Affordable and quick .. Look them up on Facebook... just one choice...

Comment

There are machinist forums, find one and post your question. You may find an amateur who would whip out a nice one for the cost of postage.
        I ask my son to do this stuff, he's a bit of a perfectionist so he makes nicer parts than I ever would.
        Then I powdercoat them and it's the ****.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Never thought about that. Good suggestion. Thanks

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
          There are machinist forums, find one and post your question. You may find an amateur who would whip out a nice one for the cost of postage.
          I ask my son to do this stuff, he's a bit of a perfectionist so he makes nicer parts than I ever would.
          Then I powdercoat them and it's the ****.

Comment

I haven't heard of JimmyR sinced he finished his build. Great bike.
            sigpic
            83 GS1100g
            2006 Triumph Sprint ST 1050

Ohhhh!........Torque sweet Temptress.........always whispering.... a murmuring Siren

Comment

That's a shame. It's one of my favorite builds I've seen on this forum.

Originally posted by Charlie G View Post
              I haven't heard of JimmyR sinced he finished his build. Great bike.

Comment

image.jpgI used the triangle brackets that came with the gauges and mounted them between the ignition and the triple clamp. This clamp came off of a 79, not sure how different yours would be.

Comment

Here is the best pic I can get of the back. I had to shave off the old gauge mounting locations
                  Attached Files

Comment

Give these guys a try and learn how to fab nearly anything.

eMachineShop manufactures low-cost prototype and production runs of custom parts. Get a fast quote or design and order your parts with our free CAD software. We offer CNC Milling and Turning, Sheet Metal Fabrication, Injection Molding, and dozens of materials. Online Ordering. Free Shipping. Quality Guaranteed.

Comment

awesome. thanks everyone

Comment

Anyone use eMachineShop for 2D parts like brackets?

Comment

Someone else was going to get a custom top triple for a GS850 here.

I was going to mention eMachine but they are probably pretty expensive.

Comment

Another option is a water jet cutting facility...there's one north of me {Alsip?} - but that would be south of you going by your location...might be something up by you too. Take some cardboard and make a template...cut it out per you needs and flatten it again and draw up the new finished version- send that to however you can find to do it. My 2 cents....

Comment

Consider stainless or aluminum, you could polish either for a great look. You might consider getting the part of the bracket you are having trouble with fabricated, then finish it off yourself to save time and money. 316 stainless resist rusting superbly, 304 is pretty good, 410 sucks. I buy a lot of Titanium drops(scraps) to use for brackets it looks great, most shops cant weld it though. Titanium has a cool gray look, it is light and strong. It is always nice to say this is titanium.

Masonite is good to mock up brackets with. You can work it with wood tools. You can glue it with elmers glue, and test fit it before you make the bracket with metal.
                              1981 GS1100E
                              1982 GS1100E

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." Aristotle

Comment

Working...
                              X