Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Fork tubes, to paint, polish or clear coat?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mikerophone View Post
    It's holding up great on my engine covers so far but its only been a week.
    Thanks, I have it on a clutch cover and the rest of my cases are clear powder-coated. None of it is installed yet as they are spares but I will install soon. I guess I can do a comparison. I think the clutch cover with the Wizard's retained more of the mirror-shine than the other pieces that were powder-coated. I did them with the cheap Harbor Freight powder unit. Got a little orange peal but sanded and buffed most of it out.
    1983 GS 1100 Guided Laser
    1983 GS 1100 G
    2000 Suzuki Intruder 1500, "Piggy Sue"
    2000 GSF 1200 Bandit (totaled in deer strike)
    1986 Suzuki Cavalcade GV 1400 LX (SOLD)

I find working on my motorcycle mildly therapeutic when I'm not cursing.

Comment

Would'nt Mothers polish do a decent on the polished parts?, I strip all clear off fork tubes, then wet sand aluminum parts with 800grit to 1500grit depending on how bad the surface is then bench polish and a final polish with mothers, and a coat of wax. Lasts all season, just like all the hot rod bling I've worked on.

Comment

Originally posted by jbird7262 View Post
        Would'nt Mothers polish do a decent on the polished parts?, I strip all clear off fork tubes, then wet sand aluminum parts with 800grit to 1500grit depending on how bad the surface is then bench polish and a final polish with mothers, and a coat of wax. Lasts all season, just like all the hot rod bling I've worked on.
        Only one season? How many miles do you ride this one bike you're talking about, in one season?
        "Only fe' collected the old way, has any value." from His Majesty O'Keefe (1954 film)
        1982 GS1100G- road bike, body, seat and suspension modded
        1990 GSX750F-(1127cc '92 GSXR engine) track bike, much re-engineered
        1987 Honda CBR600F Hurricane; hooligan bike, restored

Comment

Originally posted by 1948man View Post
          I guess I can do a comparison. I think the clutch cover with the Wizard's retained more of the mirror-shine than the other pieces that were powder-coated.
          Thanks. I'm also curious how your polish and wax holds up long-term against the powder coating. I've often considered the powder coating route versus a clearcoat versus just polishing and waxing and wonder if anyone's ever done a full study of the three against each other.

Originally posted by Buffalo Bill View Post
          Only one season? How many miles do you ride this one bike you're talking about, in one season?
          Curious about this as well. Do you live near the ocean or have lots of harsh weather? I would hope this treatment would last longer than one season. I've used Mothers for years but I really like the way the aluminum looks and feels after using Wizards and from what I gather from Chuck it's more about the sealant although it does seem to help polish that last little bit.
          ----------------------------------------------------------------
          2014 BMW F800GSA | 1981 GS850GX | 1982 GS750T (now the son-in-laws) | 1983 GS750ES | 1983 Honda V45 Magna (needs some love) | 1980 Yamaha GT80 and LB80 "Chappy" | 1973 and 1975 Honda XL250 projects

Comment

Upkeep on untreated aluminum is constant if you want that bright finish, yes, the shine will degrade the more its exposed to elements, road salts and so on, you wash your bike when its dirty and wax what needs waxing to protect the finish, same goes the aluminum parts. Yes, powdercoat is great, and it seals that shine you worked hard to produce. if you put 1000's of miles on your bike regularly the elements will trash the raw aluminum, but the upkeep to keep the finish bright is not backbreaking. Look under the hood of a muscle car or street rod, all that billit aluminum is not coated, it just takes more work to keep it that way. Either way theres pride in what one has done themselves or subbed out to others and nobody bitches about the upkeep, in either community, bikers, hotrodders, all like what they see and know what it takes to keep it that way. And I live on the east coast and the roadsalts are hell on every part of the bike or car. I ride it, I maintain it, it drips oil, she's a bitch, it gets all f'ed up with grime and grit, it goes to track days, its a bar hopper and its fun, gets comments all the time as well. Deals Gap on Monday a.m. I'm happy....
            Last edited by Guest; 04-26-2015, 06:05 PM.

Comment

my choice, had the paint already

OK, just did it my way with left over 2 pack paint I had.
              Looks good to me, and I'll find out how well it stands up.
              It is catalyst pro paint so it won't be affected by oil-gas & solvents.

What's important is not what it looks like now, but how long it looks good with 0 maintenance.

Supplies.

Base coat.

Clear coated:
              Last edited by Buffalo Bill; 06-21-2015, 05:28 PM.
              "Only fe' collected the old way, has any value." from His Majesty O'Keefe (1954 film)
              1982 GS1100G- road bike, body, seat and suspension modded
              1990 GSX750F-(1127cc '92 GSXR engine) track bike, much re-engineered
              1987 Honda CBR600F Hurricane; hooligan bike, restored

Comment

Working...
              X