Blue Job? Stain-Magic?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Blue Job? Stain-Magic?

My headers are nasty, and I'd like to clean them up.

Any recommendations? Just pick up some Blue Job? Autosol? Stain-Magic?

Attached Files

I would start with the finest steel wool, "0000", then move to Autosol, should clean up nicely. Some soap and water would probably do wonders too
    Rob
    1983 1100ES, 98' ST1100, 02' DR-Z400E and a few other 'bits and pieces'
    Are you on the GSR Google Earth Map yet? http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=170533

Comment

I haven't posted a recent photo, but I did scrub everything while I cleaned engine.

Are you saying to start with 0000 steel wool dry? Good, I have plenty laying around.

Originally posted by azr View Post
      I would start with the finest steel wool, "0000", then move to Autosol, should clean up nicely. Some soap and water would probably do wonders too

Comment

Originally posted by azr View Post
        ...and then figure out where all the oil is coming from.

I keep moving the car out of the garage figuring I'll clean up the 650, but I never seem to get around to it.
        '83 GS650G
        '83 GS550es (didn't like the colours in the 80's, but they've grown on me)

Comment

Dry or wet, just do a tiny little spot in an obscure area first to make sure it doesn't make any markings on you exhaust. It usually doesn't with the exception of the mufflers where I've seen it on occasion make marks that won't come out. The header chrome is pretty darn tough.
          Rob
          1983 1100ES, 98' ST1100, 02' DR-Z400E and a few other 'bits and pieces'
          Are you on the GSR Google Earth Map yet? http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=170533

Comment

the oil leaks have already been fixed. this is just the only photo i had to show the dirty headers.

Originally posted by BigD_83 View Post
            ...and then figure out where all the oil is coming from.

I keep moving the car out of the garage figuring I'll clean up the 650, but I never seem to get around to it.

Comment

SOS brand steel wool pads, specifically..are great for cleaning up chrome. They're soft enough not to scratch chrome. Lots of soap and water.
              1979 GS1000S,

1982 Honda CX500 Turbo, 1982 Honda MB5 w/CR80 motor, 1977 Honda "nekid" Goldwing, 1976 Honda CB550F cafe', 1972 Honda XL250 cafe'

Comment

0000 steel wool did wonders on my rusted-up L model. You definitely want to wheel the bike outside when you do it, unless you like having loads of fine steel hairs everywhere in your garage for the next few months. Ask me how I know.
                Charles
                --
                1979 Suzuki GS850G

Read BassCliff's GSR Greeting and Mega-Welcome!

Comment

Just made the connection with you and your youtube channel. I've watched a couple of your videos. Nice to meet cha!

Steel wool, soap and water it is. Followed by some autosol. Thanks guys.

Originally posted by eil View Post
                  0000 steel wool did wonders on my rusted-up L model. You definitely want to wheel the bike outside when you do it, unless you like having loads of fine steel hairs everywhere in your garage for the next few months. Ask me how I know.

Comment

Update on my pipes.

I used aluminum foil and water, and a lot of elbow grease. Followed up by Autosol.

My hands hurt.

Comment

Looks great. That's proof of the technique. Thanks for posting your results
                      '83 GS650G
                      '83 GS550es (didn't like the colours in the 80's, but they've grown on me)

Comment

Man, that looks great. Good to get results like you want. Did you say aluminum foil?????? How to you use it? wadded up with soap and water?
                        Larry

'79 GS 1000E
                        '93 Honda ST 1100 SOLD-- now residing in Arizona.
                        '18 Triumph Tiger 800 (gone too soon)
                        '19 Triumph Tiger 800 Christmas 2018 to me from me.
                        '01 BMW R1100RL project purchased from a friend, now for sale.

Comment

Never heard about this till Trevor mentioned it and now Growler. Reviews sound like it works well.

I tend to buff things as it smoothes the surfaces (even bright chrome) reducing the chance for rust to form.

Comment

Wow, remarkable results.

the only problem with this is that it makes the pipes look so good the engine covers now need a polish. Nice chrome and polished covers look good with that black motor.

Comment

Thanks everyone. I'll be removing the entire exhaust after riding season is over and give it a full clean and polish. You can see up by the exhaust clamps where I didn't clean and polish thoroughly. Might try to get up there with a toothbrush.

Engine covers are on the list. I'll get to them Ecklund. Hah.

Posplayer, I saw the Autosol being used by a guy I subscribe to on Youtube. Shipped it was about 18-19 dollars. I got mine via ebay.
                              A quick and simple way to clean and refurbish your Stainless Steel Arrow, TEC or Yoshi exhaust system....

Comment

Working...
                              X