No announcement yet.

engine stand

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No reason not to. I used the rod so I could tighten everything up without the need for spacers.
    83 GS1100ES rebuild:

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=170032

Budget GSXR Conversion:

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=200563

New to me bike: 2008 B-KING

Comment

Didn't think so, just making sure you felt the same. I have a spare engine so even if there were concerns I could use those. Just need to slot/notch my brackets and make sure they fit before I have 2 more fabbed up and will post some pictures when I do.

For now, it hangs, ratchet strapped from the rafters:
      ----------------------------------------------------------------
      2014 BMW F800GSA | 1981 GS850GX | 1982 GS750T (now the son-in-laws) | 1983 GS750ES | 1983 Honda V45 Magna (needs some love) | 1980 Yamaha GT80 and LB80 "Chappy" | 1973 and 1975 Honda XL250 projects

Comment

Originally posted by ShadowFocus603 View Post
        Nic I think your setup is the most common method I have seen. Ill be using it when I do the full tear down on 750L #1.
        When doing full tear down don't you need another arm attached to the top part of the upper case? That way you can flip the upper case to empty and fill it with the crank and tranny.

Once the lower case has been removed thats when you would need the additional arm.

What everyone has posted so far would be fine for painting or external work on a complete engine, including R/R of jugs and head.

Nic, do you just split the cases on a bench once you have the head and jugs off?

Another way of doing it is using two cheap harbor freight stands mounted to a common base member. Gives you ability to rotate by attaching to front and rear upper motor mounts as well as split cases. You loose some front access. It's also a bigger thing to have around although this guy's bracket could be shorter. He says he had to weld things to make it but it looks like it could be done by just cutting pieces and bolting in a sleeve.

Comment

Originally posted by isleoman View Post
          When doing full tear down don't you need another arm attached to the top part of the upper case? That way you can flip the upper case to empty and fill it with the crank and tranny.

Once the lower case has been removed thats when you would need the additional arm.

What everyone has posted so far would be fine for painting or external work on a complete engine, including R/R of jugs and head.

Nic, do you just split the cases on a bench once you have the head and jugs off?

Another way of doing it is using two cheap harbor freight stands mounted to a common base member. Gives you ability to rotate by attaching to front and rear upper motor mounts as well as split cases. You loose some front access. It's also a bigger thing to have around although this guy's bracket could be shorter. He says he had to weld things to make it but it looks like it could be done by just cutting pieces and bolting in a sleeve.

That works and gives you even more tip over margin. Not sure where I got the spare pipe from, but it wouldn't take much to overrun the cost of a new stand.

Comment

I cut my brackets in half and slotted them tonight, best tool I had handy for the Bridgeport was an 11/16" so the slot is a little big but I'll just use some big fender washers:

Also need to trim a little meat around the corners so it follows the contour of the transmission case better - stock mount shown over the top of my bracket:
            2014 BMW F800GSA | 1981 GS850GX | 1982 GS750T (now the son-in-laws) | 1983 GS750ES | 1983 Honda V45 Magna (needs some love) | 1980 Yamaha GT80 and LB80 "Chappy" | 1973 and 1975 Honda XL250 projects

Comment

I found a bunch of scrap angle steel at work, so I decided to make some brackets. Used a chop saw to cut them to 1-1/2" sections.

Drilled some holes with a drill press, and used the stock motor mount bolts. Feels pretty solid, even when turning it over.

1983 GS750ED-Horsetraded for the Ironhead
              1981 HD XLH

Drew's 850 L Restoration

Drew's 83 750E Project

Comment

Nice!

That looks perfect - simple and effective.I have the feeling that mine are going to a be a little long. I didn't have an angle on hand so I had to improvise.

Comment

Very nice job. I need to do the same thing.
                  David
                  1998 Suzuki Bandit
                  1978 GS750 gone but not forgotten
                  1978 GS1000 - gone
                  1981 GS850 - gone

Comment

Perfect. Now what do I do with all of the old L frames out in the weeds behind the shop?

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Got my mounts finished, not pretty but will work just fine.

Comment

Working...
                      X