best seat foam on the cheap?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

best seat foam on the cheap?

So my boney behind and "spock's" seat don't exactly get along, and some of the things that i have been reading about the saddlemen, mustang, and corbin seats are less than likeable, or at least the ones in my price range. So i'm thinking about repadding the seat myself and was wondering about where the better seat foams were on the market for a thrifty customer like myself can be found? Maybe from the "free" curb side couches? Anyone repad from one?

Seating foam (couches, chairs, etc.) is FAR too soft for motorcycle seats.

I modified my stock GS850G seat with an insert made from Supercell foam purchased from Sargent a while back (seven or eight years, I think) -- it's held up well and been extremely comfy.

I did the cutting and initial sculpting with an old electric knife, and used a course sanding block to blend in the shape before installing a stock shape seat cover. I used spray glue (3M Super 77) to glue the foam in. The stock seat was great, but after about 70,000 miles and many years the stock foam was mostly worn out.

I have no idea whether you can still buy a slab of Supercell from Sargent. Call 'em and ask if you're interested.

If you're cheap, there are closed cell foam slabs sold as stadium seats or knee pads for gardening in most discount and department stores. These are of a similar density, but again, I have no idea how these might actually work, but it may be worth a go.

I've also seen people modify seats by gluing on layers of high density carpet padding foam, then sculpting with a sanding disc to get the shape they want. I haven't done this myself, but I've seen it done.
    Last edited by bwringer; 06-08-2015, 12:00 AM.
    1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
    2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
    2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
    Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

I covered my original foam with 1/2 " high density foam. The combination seems to have done the job nicely and wasn't too expensive. I also used the 3M spray adhesive.
      '78 GS1000E, Dyna-S ignition, Dyna Green Coils, K&N pods, Delkevic SS 4-1 exhaust, Dynojet Stage 3 jet kit, Russell SS Brake Lines, Progressive suspension, Compu-Fire series Regulator 55402 and Advmonster cree LED headlight conversion.

Comment

That Supercell foam is great material. I'm a fan of Sargent's stuff.
        "Thought he, it is a wicked world in all meridians; I'll die a pagan."
        ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
        1982 CB900f

Comment

I shall be re-foaming my XS seat shortly, and plan on using a couple of layers of camping mat as a base, then high-density closed-cell foam on top of that, depending on what I can find locally. I'm aghast at the price foam sells for in small quantities from upholsterers around here, so I'm looking for alternatives, as I have another couple of seats to do soon.
          ---- Dave
          79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
          80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
          79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
          92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

Have a look around this site. He also has a couple links for foam.

Comment

I'm wanting to reshape and possibly refoam a part of my GS850G seat. Do you have any idea how thick the foam is before you hit the seat pan?

Originally posted by bwringer View Post
              Seating foam (couches, chairs, etc.) is FAR too soft for motorcycle seats.

I modified my stock GS850G seat with an insert made from Supercell foam purchased from Sargent a while back (seven or eight years, I think) -- it's held up well and been extremely comfy.

I did the cutting and initial sculpting with an old electric knife, and used a course sanding block to blend in the shape before installing a stock shape seat cover. I used spray glue (3M Super 77) to glue the foam in. The stock seat was great, but after about 70,000 miles and many years the stock foam was mostly worn out.

I have no idea whether you can still buy a slab of Supercell from Sargent. Call 'em and ask if you're interested.

If you're cheap, there are closed cell foam slabs sold as stadium seats or knee pads for gardening in most discount and department stores. These are of a similar density, but again, I have no idea how these might actually work, but it may be worth a go.

I've also seen people modify seats by gluing on layers of high density carpet padding foam, then sculpting with a sanding disc to get the shape they want. I haven't done this myself, but I've seen it done.

Comment

This is probably the cheapest way. Prob get an offcut for free. One of the comfiest saddles I've ridden was made that way...
                1980 GS1000G - Sold
                1978 GS1000E - Finished!
                1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
                1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
                2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
                1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
                2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar.....

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Working...
                X