Restoring Pre-1980 alloy handlebar switchgear

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Restoring Pre-1980 alloy handlebar switchgear

The handlebar switchgear on my 1979 GS1000 is looking ratty (metal is showing in places and the coloured paint in the recessed lettering on the switches is disappearing).

Restoring the black finish on the switchgear shouldn't be too hard, but that will cover all of the painted lettering on the switches.

There are some super talented people in GS Land. Has anyone got a technique for getting the painted lettering back to new? My thoughts are maybe a tiny paintbrush but it may finish up worse than when I started.

Thanks in anticipation.
    Last edited by sealpup; 06-12-2015, 04:33 AM. Reason: The switchgear is alloy, not the handlebars....
    2016 BMW F700GS - everyday ride
    1979 GS1000SN - resto project, recently gone
    1987 Honda GB400TT - latest resto project

I've seen some use a toothpick in your situation coupled with copious amounts of patience.

Comment

Try Frank Z on this site. He makes decals for the switches so all you have to do is paint the switch and apply the decals.Comes with the light switch,choke, horn ignition, and engine stop and start off and run. Complete instructions included. They look awesome! If you can't find him PM me and I will send you his address.
      When you contact Frank,suggest that he post in GS Parts and Services. I don't know what paint you are using, but you may want to wait until you get the decals and apply them first, mask them off and then paint. Otherwise you may have to wait a while til the paint cures as you have to scuff the surface and prep it with alcohol so the adhesive will adhere properly.
      Last edited by Phred; 06-12-2015, 06:45 AM.

Comment

Thanks Phred, I'll try Frank Z.

Greg

Comment

While Googling for handlebar decals I found this post on MotorcycleForum.com

"yup satin black finish.
          i use high temperature paint - i know
          they don't get hot, but it is very hard wearing and resists oil, fuel and brake
          fluid.
          i just did mine and they look excellent - good as
          new.
          then went over the recessed print with a white marker
          and polished off the excess.
          strip them completely inside, i
          used some 1500 grade wet & dry paper then cleaned them up with thinners
          before spraying them up."

Sounds like a reasonable method.

Comment

Working...
          X