Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fairings...

I'm not a huge fan of fairings.

Currently I have this huge windjammer fairing on my '78 GS1000E, and I hate it. I haven't even ridden it yet, but I just can't stand the way it looks like this.

So I've been trying to figure out what I should do with it. I was thinking about maybe a 1/4 fairing, or a cafe style fairing just to cut down on the wind a little bit, I've also toyed with the idea of just a windshield to cut down on the wind. But at the same time I love the look and feel of a naked bike blasting down the road.

There is something almost spiritual about using your full face helmet to create a wind contour to cut through while you put your face on the tank to twist the throttle that much harder.

So what do you guys think?

Leave the big fairing?
    Get a 1/4 fairing?
    Get a cafe style fairing?
    Windshield?
    put a headlight on it and go?

I have a bike with a "cafe" fairing, the S model and a naked 1100E.
    The S is much better for long rides, the E just fun.
    The E is windy, no fairing and it has drag bars on it so I'm stretched into the wind.
    Love both.........but I take the S model for a long ride.
    Keith
    -------------------------------------------
    1980 GS1000S, blue and white
    2015Triumph Trophy SE

Ever notice you never see a motorcycle parked in front of a psychiatrist office?

Comment

I've got the Big Windjammer on my 1100G ... love it! Took the bike down to the Brown County, IN GS Rally and had great fun in the twisties. Honestly, I didn't really notice much of a performance change with the fairing, despite the additional weight.

I DID have to remove the lowers on the way down from Chicago because too much heat was being directed toward "the boys" (I had put them on because of weekend rain concerns). After that, I was pretty comfortable the entire weekend.

Enjoy,
      Steve 8)

Comment

If you want some of the protection of a fairing without the BIGness, try just a windshield. I have a slipstreamer on my 1100E and it seems to work out pretty good for me. The nice thing is that if you want to go fully "naked" 8O , it is just 2 knobs to pull off and away you go.
        Just put lower bars on and still the windshield does great.
        Doug aka crag antler

83GS1100E, gone
        2000 Kawasaki Concours
        Please wear ATGATT

Comment

My 82 GS1100E has a National Cycle PlexiFairing II which is much better for longer / higher speed rides like on the freeway, or when its cold. The shield has quick release hardware. I can put it on or off in about a minute.

Comment

I have the same set up (1000e/windjammer) and like you I thought it was a bit BIG looking. After riding it for 1k miles or so I took it off. Seems like all I did after that was hang on. The wind @ my cruising speed was just to much.

I'm a fairing guy now

Rico

Comment

I just made a shorter windshield for my windjammer. made it feel more like a sport tourer than a full touring machine like the GL's or cavalcades.

Comment

I suggest trying to find an S model fairing for it. I think you will like it and it was made for the GS1000 so it looks great. Plus it is fuinctional for a small fairing in putting a good bit of air off the rider and also pushing the front end down a bit at higher speeds instead of making it feel light like some quarters will do.

It's what I am going with on mine. One of our wonderfull forum members in Austrailia sent me one with the mounts and all I need do it get it painted and mounted. Of course I wont be doing anything with it until I pay him for it Very patient indeed.

It will look great when it is done. They are hard to find but are still out there. Here is a picture of one in case you don't know what I am talking about.

Comment

HEY

That looks like my bike

Originally posted by Hoomgar
                  I suggest trying to find an S model fairing for it. I think you will like it and it was made for the GS1000 so it looks great. Plus it is fuinctional for a small fairing in putting a good bit of air off the rider and also pushing the front end down a bit at higher speeds instead of making it feel light like some quarters will do.

It's what I am going with on mine. One of our wonderfull forum members in Austrailia sent me one with the mounts and all I need do it get it painted and mounted. Of course I wont be doing anything with it until I pay him for it Very patient indeed.

It will look great when it is done. They are hard to find but are still out there. Here is a picture of one in case you don't know what I am talking about.

Keith
                  2015Triumph Trophy SE

Ever notice you never see a motorcycle parked in front of a psychiatrist office?

Comment

It's Bob Hoffman's bike Keith

Comment

Yea,I know.
                      His is more refined than mine, meaning he's worked the cases.
                      I have the V&H 4>1 on mine and Progressive rears.......

Oooppppssssss Hijacking going on.

Anyway, try a smaller fairing than one of those big ass sails
                      Keith
                      2015Triumph Trophy SE

Comment

Well I rode it today with and without the fairing.

I absolutely hate it.

So, off it goes in favor of a headlight bucket and some turn signals. Most of the riding we do is backroads, country riding at relatively low speeds (sub 70) and this doesn't just fit with me very well....

If I can find someone local who would be willing to trade headlight bucket and turn signals for the fairing they can HAVE it.

Comment

Mind if I interrupt this thread. I know there is a hundred threads on fairings. I just wondered, I searched for Cafe fairings and didn't see what I was looking for. I've an '83 GS 750E and would just like to add a small windshield to the fake headlight fairing. Any ideas? I thought I've seen a small windshield rivetted to the headlight fairing. Is this possible?

Thanks.

Dave

Comment

Try here, look like some nice options

Originally posted by dmplatt
                            Mind if I interrupt this thread. I know there is a hundred threads on fairings. I just wondered, I searched for Cafe fairings and didn't see what I was looking for. I've an '83 GS 750E and would just like to add a small windshield to the fake headlight fairing. Any ideas? I thought I've seen a small windshield rivetted to the headlight fairing. Is this possible?

Thanks.

Dave
                            Keith
                            2015Triumph Trophy SE

Comment

I love the bikini fairings. I'd like to find one like that or a flyscreen thats a tad more reasonable (i.e. cheap).

I think a 1/4 fairing would ruin the minimalistic look I am moving towards.

Comment

Working...
                              X