How Much $$ to paint

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How Much $$ to paint

I was just wondering what it might cost to have my '83 GS 750E painted? It doesn't look bad, but the front fender is plastic and the paint is starting to peel. Also, the little fairing by the headlight has some bubbling. Whoever painted it before did a half butt job.
    I don't have the sprayer or I might do it myself.

Who does motorcycle painting anyway? Any ideas of how much? Where can you get Suzuki decals, or does the painter have them?

Thanks

Dave

I was just wondering what it might cost to have my '83 GS 750E painted?
    That is too general a question to answer here. It depends on your region, how long you can wait for it to get done, if you can do the prep work yourself, the mood the painter is in when you get a price, etc. Shop around and you should find quite a range of prices.

You can buy stickers from your stealer ($$$ 8O ) or from a number of sellers on E-bay, among others. I bought a couple of the "Ninja" stickers for my ZX-9 off of E-bay for $6USD and my dealer wanted $90CDN EACH for them.

Mark

Comment

[quote]
      Originally posted by mark m
      I was just wondering what it might cost to have my '83 GS 750E painted?
      That is too general a question to answer here. It depends on your region, how long you can wait for it to get done, if you can do the prep work yourself, the mood the painter is in when you get a price, etc. Shop around and you should find quite a range of prices.
      Yeah I figured that. I guess my question is WHO does bike painting? Would it be a dealer? That sounds real expensive. The other repair/parts shops I've seen, I doubt would do any painting or be any cheaper. My problem is that I haven't found a parts guy who is socialable at all. They are short tempered and basically rude. I know - it must be me, I'm actually a very pleasant person who can strike up friendly conversation with anyone. These guys are -

Another question: I saw in the Garage area that Frank painted a bike using cans of spray paint. Has anyone done this also? That could be the route to go for me. $$$$.
      The other problem is that here in Florida it doesn't get below 80-90% humidity. How would that effect the painting?

Thanks for any help. I think this would have to be a winter project.

Comment

Try talking to auto-body shops. You might find you can get a good deal if you bring the parts all prep'd and ready to paint. Then when they are spraying the car they are working on they can just spray your parts as well. I'm sure you could find a place looking to make some extra weekend money. Make sure you tell them you can pay cash and be prepared to be flexable on color choice.

Comment

I guess my question is WHO does bike painting?
          Any auto body shop can do it, the paint and prep is all the same regardless if it's a car or bike. Check with local Harley and/or custom bike shops, they often get bikes custom painted and can lead you towards body shops that will work on bike stuff.

Another question: I saw in the Garage area that Frank painted a bike using cans of spray paint. Has anyone done this also? That could be the route to go for me. $$$$.
          The other problem is that here in Florida it doesn't get below 80-90% humidity. How would that effect the painting?
          I have painted a helmet with spray bomb paint. Results are not bad, but the finish is not as hard or chemical resistant. The high humidity can cause serious problems painting. The pros have chemicals they put in the paint to counteract the effects, but you don't get that luxury at home with rattle cans. There is a page here (check the home page) that details a well done home paint job done with rattle cans.

Bottom line is that a pro job done in a urethane (solid colors) or base/clear (metallic colors) paint system will be much more durable and look much better, but will cost money. A rattle can job (done carefully) will look pretty good, but will not last as well and will not cost you much. For my money, I would find a body shop that will let me do the prep work and is willing to work cheap for flexible delivery. That is, I leave it for a few weeks and they can paint it when it works out for them, for a lower cost. Of course, we have a long winter here to get that stuff done with no loss of riding time.

Mark

Comment

Thanks a bunch.

That helps a lot.

Dave

Comment

paint work

Hello

Shop around and get a good price if u r looking for a professional job u will far better off letting the shop do the prep work and the paint. Are u going back to the original finish or a custom color!

I would never paint a car or bike unless I had my shop or prep guy do the prep work, My reason is that I do not want to stake my paining reputation on a person who preped thier own bike or car to save a FEW bucks. For sure it would not be the perfict prep job. ie: fish eyes , sanding scratches ect.

Spend the few extra bucks to get the job done right with the high humidity you must add a conditioner / use special reducers in the paint to
              reduce / remove the effects of the humidity.
              I have painted in Florida myself. most do it urselfers do not have the success unless they r well equipped.

Sorry did not mean to burst ur bubble. Best of luck , Archie

Comment

I shopped around alot before I decided to do it myself. Quotes were from $400 to $1000 in the Chicagoland area. I can't afford to spend that..........so I've got $150 in supplies and a lot of work to do. 1/2 way there! Believe me, if I could afford to pay somebody else to do it I would. Now, my job won't look too bad but it won't look as good at that $1000 dollar job I bet.......

Comment

I think the body shop method is the way to go if you you are not trying to restore to original. Remove the parts and at least mask them. As was mentioned earlier the shop will likely do its own surface prep regardless of what you do. With any paint job be prepared to be without your bike for a while. There is a very good chance at least one or more of the parts will have to be redone. Actually a custom bike painter is likely to take more time than the body shop.

Talk to the shop manager and get a good comfort level before commiting the parts. Does your price guarantee a good job? And what constitutes a good job in his eyes? How obvious does the run, bubble or other blemish have to be for them to redo that part.

Usually it is the tank that is hardest to get right. It has a lot of curved surface and angles.

Pick a farrly standard automotive color. That way you will always be ablet to find touch up paint.
                  Believe in truth. To abandon fact is to abandon freedom.

Nature bats last.

80 GS850G / 2010 Yamaha Majesty / 81 GS850G

Comment

Paint work

Hello Again
                    I hope things r going well 4 u with the prep work.
                    YOU can do a great job if u take ur time and take the few precautions that is required to do a good job 1st time around. One thing i would sugest to u is to rent a compresor and paint gun if u dont own one. Use a 135 tip 4 all base clear paints. This tip size is primarally used for the base coat that is very thin remember it is only a die/color. You will get a very nice smooth finish with the clear coat using the 135 tip. The 135 atomizes the paint better for a smooth glass like finish. Take ur time and it will turn out nice, just try not to paint on a humid day, and remember the clear will flow out to a nice even shine so dont put on to much clear to make it run. If it does stop and let it dry, snd out the imperfections and try agian, and allow 15 minutes of flash time between each coat of paint / clear and ONE HOUR before appplying the clear over the color. in high humidity.If the color looks milky / hazey it indicates high humidity. just wait awile and fog on the color in light coats so as not to trap the air moisture. then clear with a fast drying clear and presto u will have a nice paint job. Come on painting is not all that hard just some know how and pretty soon u will b a pro. If u dont succeed on the first try try agian and u will get it done.
                    Best of luck Archie mail me if u have any ?

Comment

DO NOT paint your bike with spray cans. I painted my tank like that, and while it looked ok for a few days (by ok I mean it was all the same color, with varying degrees of shineyness) but the second a person sploshes a little gas out of their tank when refueling, it all goes to hell. Now it looks like a 2nd grader painted it.

Comment

I just got finished spraying my bike with spray cans and it looks like a million bucks. You just have to take your time, use the right paint and tools, and be very patient. Stripped all parts down to the metal/plastic. Used quality automotive primer, blue metal flake, clear coat and took a lot of time to do the job right. Spent countless hours doing prepwork and sanding till all of the parts were smooth as silk. Sprayed with the right temp and humidity and came out awesome. In a month I'll rub out the clear and wax it. Really "pops" with the new emblems too. 5 layers of primer, sanded smooth. 7 layers of blue metal flake. 7 layers of clear coat. Its sooooo glossy silky flakey smooth! 8)

Doing a nice job is not easy and the workload is not for everybody. Mine took 4 times longer than I expected. If you have $$$ to burn and can find a good spray place go for it. I didn't and spent about $150 on supplies. Well worth it. I also have another bike to ride while the other one sat in pieces.

Definitely will avoid spilling gasoline all over it! Pictures to come soon.......

Comment

Please post pics.

Sounds like a lot of work, but I don't have $1,000 either. IF I did, it would probably be a down payment on a Vstrom.

Just curious, isn't the clear coat supposed to protect from the gasoline?

Also, can you give us an update after a month or two to let us know how it's standing up?

Thanks

Dave

Comment

Originally posted by 80gs1000e
                            Definitely will avoid spilling gasoline all over it! Pictures to come soon.......
                            lol... yeah, thats always good. I only spent like $20 on my spray job, so I think you got better paint. I hope it lasts longer than mine. 8)

Comment

i just did mine a few months ago.had about 200 dollars in paint and supplies.you cansee it at the fla ride and i'll fill you in then

Comment

Working...
                              X