Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ratbike chronicles - Baby won't you light my.....engine?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ratbike chronicles - Baby won't you light my.....engine?

Well, this is the LED project revisited.
    I took the easy way and went to Autozone and picked up a set of these LED tubes.

I zip-tied them to the frame-back arms and set them up to shine on the engine. I ran the wiring along the frame making sure no parts would contact the gas tank, carbs or fuel line. Then I wired the harness and controller in. It was so SO much easier than making the LEDs myself like I tried to last time. It took less than 15 minutes from start to finish. Here is how they look in the light and in the dark.

Light first...

And Darkness...

I also installed a larger paper fuel filter as the little inline one with the sintered metal mesh lets the rust particles from my tank into my carbs.
    Once I clean my carbs (again) later today I should be ready to ride for this sunday's meet!

Rock on,
    ;D
    Dm of mD

Neat

LED kits keep coming up on GS450 part searches on EBay. They show a pic of a HD though

Maybe they should use your pics for the GS auctions!

Comment

That would be kewl!
      They really make the bike stand out.
      And the led tubes are much brighter than those little "POD" kits that they sell for the H-D's and other motorcycles.

Dm of mD

Comment

Really neat looking lights there. Looks like you have a natural gas flame under your tank. (Not a recommended mod, BTW.)

I know what you mean about buying an assembly versus roll-your-own. When I was younger my time was worthless so I didn't mind spending it soldering parts together. Now it's hard just finding time to go to Radio Shack. (Not that they have what I want any more.)

There are some areas where it's illegal to run a blue light on anything other than an emergency vehicle. (Columbus, Ohio for example - blue is reserved for law enforcement.) Anyone have any bad experiences over decorative lighting?

Dave

Comment

I was concerned about that this past tuesday night but the cops rolled right by me and didn't say a thing. So it's not illegal in MD I guess.

Dm of mD

Comment

its only illegal if the blue lamp itself is visible from either the front or rear of the bike

Comment

Awesome, I'll remember that!!
              Thanks!!

Dm of mD

Comment

Looks great, nice job! I was thinking of doing the same thing with red LEDs (red bike). Where did you mount your switch at? Did you just tie the power directly off of the battery?

Drew

Comment

My switch is located on the side cover over the frame neck up in front of the tank. You know, the little plastic cover that bolts in to cover up the wiring under the neck of the frame.

I crimped on an o-ring connector and put it on the screw on the positive side of the fusebox since it always has power. Added in a 10 amp in-line fuse to protect the system.

It's super easy to wire in/build if you have a crimp-on adapter set and some 14 guage wire.

Tools needed

And a little...

Dm of mD

Dm of mD

Comment

Originally posted by Hinermad
                    There are some areas where it's illegal to run a blue light on anything other than an emergency vehicle. (Columbus, Ohio for example - blue is reserved for law enforcement.) Anyone have any bad experiences over decorative lighting?

Dave
                    If you live in British Columbia, don't even bother! The cops around here are VERY anal about "excessive lighting." It seems we might be seen and be more of a target? A few years ago my wife got stopped in her van for speeding, and the cop noticed the lights on the running boards and the clearance lights. She BSed the cop and told him they didn't work, and the cop reminded her the fine was $35 a light! :roll:

I used to flashing red spark plug caps on my Triumph years ago which REALLY looked cool, and I never got any grief from the police. I tried the same caps on my Harley and they shook themselves apart within a week!
                    Kevin
                    E-Bay: gsmcyclenut
                    "Communism doesn't work because people like to own stuff." Frank Zappa

1978 GS750(x2 "projects"), 1983 GS1100ED (slowly becoming a parts bike), 1982 GS1100EZ,
                    Now joined the 21st century, 2013 Yamaha XTZ1200 Super Tenere.

Comment

Lol, sounds like my barend mirrors.

Dm of mD

Comment

they are illegal in MD benn pulled for it there..Va as well( wife is an officer red/blue both here)

Comment

Strange, the MVA Regulations say otherwise.
                          I've rolled right by cops here and in VA and nothing was said.
                          :?

Dm of mD

Comment

Originally posted by Detman101
                            Strange, the MVA Regulations say otherwise.
                            I've rolled right by cops here and in VA and nothing was said.
                            :?

Dm of mD
                            don't let that make you feel safe. I had some windshield washer nozzle lights on my old car for a good 6 months (and drove by MULTIPLE cops) without getting pulled over, then 1 night... and best of all, it counts as a moving offense, so my insurance went up

Comment

They dont necessarily pull full them UNLESS they want to.. Wifes a cop thats how I know about the laws(also been there done that and all I got was a lousy ticket in MD)... I was on a ride along with one of my wifes partners where we pulled a guy for blue lights. He was from NY where apparentlly they are legal,not here 85$ ticket!

Comment

Working...
                              X